Kiss of Darkness 6

Chapter 6  

I was suspended again, in the darkness. It was comforting, the peace, being enveloped by something that couldn't hurt me, something that shielded me in fact.  

But of course, that wasn't going to last long. My first sensation that came back to me, was scent. Something sweet, like chocolate. It smelled like cookies...like home....Home?  

I sat up quickly and surveyed my surroundings. This wasn't my house, no. It was sparsely furnished, there were several boxes stacked on the floor.  

"Finally awake, I see." A voice cut through the lethargic atmosphere from behind me. I turned but felt some restraint. My arms were tied to the couch but otherwise, I was ok. The person moved in front of me and sat in a chair across from the couch where I sat.  

He was young, maybe around 20, with short black hair and oddly familiar black eyes. His face was shadowed by a tired look but it was wary of my every movement.  

"Sorry about tying your arms, but I saw the tattoo," the man said quietly. I looked down at my arm, there was a tattoo of some yellow flower; it was wilted but every detail was perfect, like a real flower had been fused with me. There was a slightly metallic sheen that caught my eyes in the center of the flower, but the man's voice drew me away from the flower.  

"He sent you didn't he?"  

"Who?" I decided to play dumb.  

"You know who, he sent you to 'take care' of me right?" He pulled his hand through his hair and stared at me.  

"You're pretty young, younger than the other girl, Holly I think her name was," he said calmly. I stared back at him, committing every detail to memory. There was something about him...  

Then it hit me, I leaned back, letting the ropes go slack, and reached into my pocket. I sensed the man tense but I pulled out the picture of the two boys. This was him, my target.  

The man walked over to me and took the picture. He stared at it for a second before looking at me. He took my face in his hand and I tried to pull away. His firm grip held me there, staring into his dark eyes. I cringed away; they reminded me so much of his eyes, that horrible man who ripped me from my life.  

"What's your name?" I averted my eyes, not wanting to talk to someone who had the same eyes.  

"I'm Dylan. Dylan Bice." He said softly. He dropped my face from his grip and sat back down beside me on the couch. He loosened the bonds that held my arms and closed his eyes.  

"It's not his fault you know. He didn't want to be like this." Dylan said.  

"How would you know?! He didn't kidnap you and take you away from your life." I muttered.  

"No, you're right. He just took himself out of mine. We were so close, you get to be that way when you're twins..." he trailed off, staring at the wall.  

Twins, they had the same eyes. If they were identical, why would he need to kidnap girls? He was actually quite handsome, if the two brothers were identical that is.  

"Will you tell me your name?" Dylan asked again. He looked intently at me.  

"I'm kath-I'm Chryssy." I refused to call myself what he decided. I also didn't want to get shocked from the tattoo. I would go with what Sunflower chose.  

"Here." He handed me his phone, open to a program where I could type in a message.  

I took it and slowly, typed in my name. K-a-t-h-r-y-n. Every click of the phone brought me closer to crying. Was I still me?  

"That's a beautiful name. Mind if I call you Kat?" I cringed, waiting for the shock to come. It never came but Dylan rested his hand on my tattoo, it still felt raw but his hand was warm and it didn't hurt as bad.  

"Why does he do this?" I asked, wiping my eye with my hand, banishing any tears that might come.  

"I don't know for sure, he left when we were 16, he never had a chance to experience life normally. Our dad, after mom died, he went crazy. He took girls from ever -- "Dylan started. Then my collar crackled to life, "We are coming soon, finish up." Rose's voice rang in my ears.  

I looked up at Dylan, his face had softened. I wiped my eyes again, I couldn't hurt him. What had he ever done? He grabbed a glass of some red juice and handed it to me. I gulped it down quickly and turned to look at him again.  

Dylan laughed softly, sadly,"Guess it's time to pay for Holly...Good Luck, Kat. Tell Jag I said hi and tell Rose I'll never forget." He stood up, and pulled a needle from his pocket. My needle, the one that had been in my locker. I got up to take the needle back but the world began to spin, colors crashed together and everything became smeared.  

He turned and gave me one small smile before he pierced his arm and injected the clear liquid.  

Everything after that became a blur, him dropping to the floor, the loud knocks at the door, Rose rushing in holding her gun. A flash of a camera, Rose kneeling by Dylan, the yelling, being carried out by someone, and finally, the soft calming blackness.