Chapter 9

"Guess what, Tomi."

"What?"

"So you can't even guess?" I sit up and swing my legs off the bed.

She looks up from her computer where she is currently typing and turns on the seat to face me, folding her hands over her chest.

"I'm not worse than you are at guessing." She shakes her head and I roll my eyes.

The bed frame creakes as I absent-mindedly swing my legs to and fro.

"Never mind." I look away and remember last night at the park. It almost feels like days ago now.

                           ※※

"You're kidding."

"I'm not, honestly. She made me drink the whole bottle."
I clutch my stomach and burst into giggles for the umpteenth time that night.

"No way." I cough and his green eyes twinkles as he rants on.

"Thank God I pretended to get well fast, who knows what she would have done next?"

"Serves you right." My breathing slowly becomes regular as I raise my hands to my face and massage my aching cheeks.
Lisa, on the other hand is lost in her own world chasing a butterfly.

For a while, we are silent just watching Lisa make a fool of herself before it's broken by his deep tenor.

"I miss her." He says and my head snaps in his direction causing some strands of my hair to whip my face. I tuck them behind my ear and study him.
For the first time since we met a few minutes ago, I can sense sadness and I feel a pang in my chest.

He plucks a blade of grass and begins fiddling with it.

"I'm so sorry."

He heaves and looks up at the sky which has now become dark, the sun fully covered up by the moon. The entire park is sprinkled with the silvery light, here and there.

"It's alright...", he pauses as if wanting to say more...., " I've moved on." He flashes me a quick smile and rises to his feet.

"Um, I need to leave. Tell your mom, that her cooking is great. I truly enjoyed every bite." He smiles.

I roll my eyes.

"That's embarking on a suicide mission considering she'd find out I didn't eat it all." I murmur and shove my hands into my coat pocket.
That sends him into a fit of laughter and I can't help but join in.

Finally, we both calm down and I remember I need to get going too.

"By the way, I need to leave too, it's getting late."

"Do you mind if I walk you home; you live around?"

"Yeah, it's right here in Cobble Hill, just among the Brown Stones."

"Oh then not very far I guess." He holds out his arm for me.

"Yeah, I guess."
His smile makes it absolutely difficult to resist so I nod and give in taking his hand as we continue down the street.

                         ※※

I am pushed back into reality when a waving hand blocks my vision.
I slap it away to reveal a confused looking Tomi.
She is kneeling on the floor with her head cocked to one side as if to examine me.