Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Chapter Six

The duke was regarding the woman with a smile brighter than she had ever seen him wear. The stunning lady, with her slightly upturned nose and soft brown eyes, beamed back at him with absolute adoration.

Addie's stomach jolted at the sight, one that was obviously full of tender affection. How foolish of her to think that the duke had been even remotely interested in her. Addie was merely a maid, but this woman in front of her was every bit the lady that she no longer was. And clearly, they were already very familiar with each other.

Addie was about to duck past them, hopefully unnoticed, when the duke spotted her standing awkwardly in the doorway.

"Addie, I would like to introduce you to someone very important to me," he said, gesturing grandly to the woman standing next to him, his mood completely transformed from just before. Addie supposed some women had that effect on men.

But did he honestly mean to introduce her to this willowy wisp of a woman? Why he would do such a thing, Addie couldn't begin to fathom. She had no place being here during this intimate greeting and desperately wanted to disappear into the floral wallpaper.

But not given any other option, she slowly approached the two of them as Kingfield began the introductions.

"Lady Emilia Shepard, my sister." He then gestured to her while looking at the other woman. "Miss Addie Singleton, our newly acquired housemaid."

"What a pleasure to meet you, my lady," Addie responded, keeping her tone as light as possible. She swept into a curtsy, covering her face and the certain surprise on it. A small amount of unbidden relief washed over her, and she promptly pushed that emotion aside.

When she stood up again, the duke's sister was happily smiling at her.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Miss Singleton," Lady Emilia chirped.

"Please call me Addie, my lady," Addie responded, attempting to make her station in the household very clear.

"Addie, then. Where have you and my brother been this afternoon?" she asked, evident curiosity in her friendly voice.

Before Addie could respond, Kingfield smoothly interceded for her.

"Addie has been assisting me with some research that Andrew has tasked me with."

Lady Emilia looked between the two of them while Addie nodded in agreement with the duke.

"Interesting," she mused. Then she waved in the air as if dismissing her interest. "Leave it to Andrew to come up with some project or other to fill your time."

Kingfield shrugged. "It isn't as though I have much else to do, Emilia."

"Oh, yes," Lady Emilia responded, her voice dripping in sarcasm. "You've nothing but a dukedom to manage and a wife to find."

The duke smirked. "My accounts are all well-balanced, and the dukedom is well under control, Emilia."

Addie could not help but notice that he hadn't addressed the bit about the wife. It seemed that Lady Emilia also caught that, and Addie could hear her mutter something beneath her breath that sounded resolutely like "...Simply need a woman."

The duke merely chuckled in response, ignoring his chagrined sister. "How long will you be staying, darling sister, before you leave us again for the country?"

"It entirely depends on how long I can suffer the ton and the thick air of London," she replied tartly. "And you, dear brother."

"So, not long?" he drawled, laughing slightly.

"Likely not," Lady Emilia agreed. But she was beaming in spite of herself.

Addie continued to stand awkwardly in the entrance to the home, waiting for dismissal when instead it seemed like these two unconventional aristocrats were happy to include her in their familial conversation. Finally, it appeared that His Grace took notice of her discomfort.

icon lock

Show your support for amelie, and continue reading this story

by amelie
@amelierhys
In hiding as a maid, Princess Adelaide must resist the charms of the...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 41 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @amelierhys.