CHAPTER FOUR - Wolf Gene

The weekend had passed since the incident with Axel's grandparents. The Santelli family was already accustomed to having Axel around for days at a time so it was perfectly normal for Timber to wake both boys for school. The only thing that changed was Axel doing chores with Renegade rather than just helping out here and there, which he was perfectly happy to do. He had volunteered himself as the designated 'trash taker outer' every night before bed and Timber had no objections because she didn't have to smell it anymore. They had made room for him in Renegade's room and bought him his own bed, for which he was loudly thankful.

That Monday after school, the boys came home from school with Henry talking loudly and excitedly. Timber looked up from her whiskey meatballs to see them both with grey sheets of paper in their hands.

"We made the team, Mom!" announced Renegade.

"That's wonderful, Renegade! Great job, Axel!"

"Thanks, Mom," said Renegade. "This is what we need and the cost. It's not too much, is it?"

"I'll discuss it with your father tonight," said Timber. "In the meantime, I want to put your bags in your room and wash up for dinner, please. Did you finish all your homework?"

"Yes, Ma'am," said Axel.

Timber saw his face and was concerned that he was pale but she attributed it to the stress from recent events and a major test coming up.

"I haven't finished yet," said Renegade. "I'm stumped and I need help."

"What is it, Son?" asked Henry.

"The Latin portion of my English homework," said Renegade. "This is harder than learning French."

"Foreign language is definitely not my strong point," said Henry. "I know a few words in three languages and some scattered Gaelic but that's it."

"Call Uncle Frost after dinner," suggested Timber. "The man speaks and reads twenty languages. He should be able to break it down for you."

"I've said it a million times," said Axel. "You have a huge family."

"I like it," said Renegade. "I don't even remember who is related to who sometimes."

"Aunt Emily is my father's sister's daughter, my cousin, and Aunt Gina is my seventh cousin, which makes them and their children your biological cousins too, though distant. Those are the only blood relatives that are in our pack," explained Timber. "Everyone else, we've known forever either through school or Haven."

"I like our pack," said Renegade.

"Me too," said Timber. "Now go wash up."

When they left, Timber looked at the paper and gave it to Henry when she was done.

"We have to tell him sometime," said Timber in a hushed voice.

"Why?" asked Henry.

"Henry, we're not poor," said Timber. "He doesn't know that this, this number is not a problem for us at all. It's pocket change. Pennies. He still thinks we're living off of your salary because that's how everyone lives. You work because you want to. Not because you have to."

"What is that going to do to him? I don't want him to be spoiled," said Henry. "I like that he has a good work ethic. We didn't earn our riches. I inherited a fortune."

"Brogan gold is part of that too," said Timber.

"And part of the riches from Haven's vault," added Henry. "Look, I know that we bring in six figures a month and donate a lot of it but Renegade does not need to know that yet."