Chapter Two

The response I had for the first chapter was unbelievably amazing! Thank you so much to all my loyal amazing fans out there who are still sticking with me. Without your constant encouragement and feedback the first book probably would have been left unfinished, let alone having a sequel. I love you all ❤️

Xavier's PoV

"Just get off my back would you?!" I growled at Jax as he explained to me again why I was needing to find my mate. I mean it wasn't like I hadn't been trying.

"Watch your tone with me Xavier, you may be my best friend and Beta but it doesn't give you the right to be disrespectful to me" he growled back and my wolf flattened his ears back, unhappy with the fact that we angered our Alpha.

I sighed as I rubbed my eyes with my hand, "I'm sorry man, I know you're only trying to look out for me and make sure I'm happy but I don't need to be told something I already know. I know I need my mate but I just can't seem to find her anywhere". At twenty five it was pretty much unheard of for a Beta not to of found his mate, I was very aware with how long I had gone without a mate and it was taking its toll on both me and my wolf.

I sighed again as I rested my head in my hands. It had been almost three years since Jax had found his mate and our Luna and since then more and more pack members were finding their mates, all but me.

Every year Anna and our pack hosted a ball of sorts, we invited everyone. The idea was to help people find their mates and it had been really successful the past two years. It had been successful for everyone but me.

Jax sighed as he took in my defeated appearance and came round his desk and clapped me on the shoulder "you'll find her soon man, just keep the faith that the Moon Goddess has picked someone amazing for you".

I rolled my eyes before getting up "I'm going to go for a run, hopefully it'll help clear my head and stop me from being so on edge".

Jax nodded as he made his way back around the desk so he could carry on with his paperwork, "alright man, just keep the faith okay? You never know what's around the corner".

I nodded my head but didn't respond as I made my way out of Jax's office and into the woods surrounding his house. Just as I was about to shift I heard running footsteps behind me and I quickly looked round to find Anna, Jax's mate, running to catch up with me.

"Xavier! Xavier wait... are you okay?" She asked when she got close enough to me that she didn't have to shout.

I smiled before giving her the best convincing nod I could manage. "Yeah Anna I'm fine, just a little antsy for some reason so I thought a run would help" I said as I gestured behind me where I was planning to shift.

She nodded as she shoved her hands into her hoodie pockets, "alright well be careful alright? I'm getting a weird vibe that somethings going to happen... I'm just not sure what."

I frowned, she was never usually wrong about her feeling and since she was directly connected to the Moon Goddess herself we always took her gut feelings seriously. "Did you want me to call Jax to put out a red alert?"

She smiled before shaking her head "no it's nothing bad like that, just a feeling that something is going to change very soon".

I frowned, that didn't exactly convince me that everything was going to be okay. "Alright well... I'd still tell Jax if I were you".

She nodded before gesturing back to the house "well I better get in and see if JJ is awake yet for his afternoon feed but do be careful and please just... keep an open mind okay?"

I frowned "umm... okay?" I agreed as I watched her run back into the house. Well that wasn't cryptic at all.

I ran my hands through my hair before walking into the shadows of the trees so that I could shift. I loved running, it always helped clear my head.

I ran for a solid two hours, having no destination in mind, just enjoying the feel of the wind in my fur and the dirt under my paws.

Just as I was about to turn back and head home I heard growls and scuffles coming from the pack boarder not far from me. Was a pack member in trouble? Usually if something happens like that they mind like Jax for help but if it's a youngster who hadn't shifted yet then maybe they couldn't.

I quickly turned around and ran towards the fight just as I heard a girl scream in pain.

My wolf growled in my head as we made it into the clearing and what I saw had me frozen to the spot. Two rogues were fighting in our territory, one a girl who had just had her thigh ripped into and another one a male who was staring at her waiting for a chance to pounce.

I quickly took in the scene, noticing she had already killed one of the rouges but was struggling with the other as her leg looked badly damaged.

Before I could think too much about it I flung myself at the male rogue who was getting ready to pounce at the girl. We circled each other, trying to find an opening but seeing that I was a pack wolf and a Beta I was a lot stronger than this rogue and so quickly pinned him down and clenched down on his jugular.

I leapt off him and looked up at the girl who had now turned back into her wolf form and froze. Mate.

No. No how could my mate be a rogue? Was the Moon Goddess that cruel that she would pair me with the one thing I despised most? Mate! My wolf continued, seemingly unconcerned with the fact that our mate was a rogue.

We stared at each other for a few seconds, neither of us believing what was happening, but before I could do anything the girl quickly turned around and high tailed it as fast as she could away from me. Even with her damaged leg she was making good time.

My wolf was screaming at me to run after her but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Her kind were cold blooded killers and there was no way I was going to be mated to someone like that.

Once she was out of sight I reported the two dead wolves to border patrol to be cleaned up and slowly made my way back to Jax's house. We were all planning to have dinner there this evening and I couldn't wait to see the look in their faces when I told them about this.

Just then Anna's words floated back into my mind  and and I cursed, she had seen this coming. "Just promise me you'll keep an open mind".

Ugh great, now I'm going to have to experience the wrath of Annabelle.

I hope you enjoyed the second chapter! A little inside look into what Xavier was thinking 😊
As always let me know what you think ❤️

If your wanting something else to read go and check out my other story 'Whispers on a Wing'. It's not a werewolf story but it is still fantasy 😊

Come and say hi on Instagram! I'm so glad I got this chapter out as people on my Instagram can see I'm going to be very busy later sunbathing on the beach at my family beach hut 😂