Chapter 8 - Dorséanan's ceremony

Taghna couldn't explain her attitude. Even if she didn't want to tell herself that she was wasting her time with others, she felt alienated from them, their difficulties and their desires. She did not forget Caïséan's help, but she also realized that she was faster and more agile than the rest of her classmates.

Nor did she understand why everyone persisted in following Asgeül like newborns when Caïséan, for example, was far more talented. In Taghna's view, her comrade should have taken over the authority of her brataïr, but that hadn't happen.

As such, to avoid the conflicts that her jealousy and misunderstanding created, Taghna preferred to isolate herself.

She had just been training for a long time, alone in the forest. The incessant repetition of the same gesture to attain perfection, as well as the search for targets that were increasingly difficult to hit, had made her forget the passage of time. She was still completely absorbed by her activity when Maoïr joined her. He was walking slowly, with steady steps. He looked at her for a moment and said to her:

- I see you're progressing fast.

Taghna jumped at the sound of a voice behind her back. Her reaction made the master smile.

- Maoïr, I didn't hear you coming, said Taghna, a little ashamed of being surprised.

- Don't worry, my little Taghna. So,this is where you practice?

- Oh, here and elsewhere. Anywhere. It depends on the day, she said with a shrug of her shoulders.

Taghna wasn't focused on the conversation. She did not see that Maoïr had come to talk to her for a precise reason and not just to exchange banalities. With his usual kindness, he continued:

- It's good, it's important to know how to hunt.

- Yes, I want to be able to help the village as soon as possible! she said with more vigour when she heard the mention of her favourite subject.

- You're right. Séaroën's survival depends greatly on it. But sometimes, focusing all your efforts on one thing makes you forget the rest, isn't it?

- What do you mean? If we want to survive the next Hir, we have to gather food. And to get enough of it, we have to hunt, right?

- Your reasoning is correct. But look: if you want to help the village but that your actions means you're moving away from it, wouldn't you say you're doing the opposite of what you wanted to accomplish?

This remark destabilized Taghna who did not know how to respond. She felt that this reply implied something about her gradual isolation from the rest of the group, but she did not see where Maoïr was going with it. She felt the frustration inside her and, at the end, tears invaded her eyes.

- I just want to be useful. If no one can hunt properly, then I have to do it for them! she replied with sobs, trying to justify her behaviour.

- Of course Taghna, of course. And you did nothing wrong, said Maoïr in a soft voice. Moreover, at your age, I myself wanted to go alone to explore the world and bring back all kinds of plants with the specific aim of making myself useful in Séaroën.

Taghna stopped sobbing when she heard his words. The image of her master at her age made her even smile a little.

- Is that true?

- Yes, I assure you. But don't forget that we are only the memories we leave to those who are around us.

- I don't understand what you mean, Maoïr....