Chapter Twenty-Two

"But why?" Naomi repeated for the third time.

"Because I said so!" Alicia hissed, hands on her hips.

"And whatever you say goes?"

"When I'm the campaign manager? Yes, it does."

Naomi looked down at the large cafeteria table. It was filled with cupcakes. Each one had been made from fancy crepe dough, straight from the castle's refined kitchens. They were embellished with bright purple and blue frosting with toppers that had Malcolm and Naomi's faces on them. Malcolm and Naomi's animated figures winked and smiled at the potential eater.

"I do not want my face on these things." Naomi held up one of the multi-colored cupcakes, wrinkling her nose in distaste.

"It's too late for that. It's already been decided. We've been at this for hours now, and you're going to help us finish." Alicia gestured toward the rows of undecorated cupcakes.

Seated at the table, Gia and some underclassmen Alicia had strong-armed were busy finishing the sweets. They studiously ignored Alicia and Naomi's argument.

"I don't see Malcolm here, decorating these with frilly nonsense," Naomi shot back.

"That's because he has more important things to do. Like preparing your speech. Something you're too slow to put together."

Naomi continued to pout, reflecting on how she'd gotten into this situation. All week long, she and Malcolm had been promoting themselves for the Summit Trials. Alicia had orchestrated most of it, from putting up posters, handing out buttons, to accosting people in the hallways with other campaign paraphernalia. Between it all, Naomi didn't think there was much else left for them to do.

Yet, the campaign wasn't over. Tomorrow was Thuran, the fourth day of the week, and the school was holding a ballot fair. During the students' break periods, the teams would advertise themselves at their booths, and there would even be time for them to make speeches. By the end of the day, each student was supposed to cast his or her vote. They'd find out the election results on Firan.

The whole thing felt like messy, political warfare, but Naomi had held back from complaining...until now.

"Okay, fine. Everyone's got to do their part, or whatever. But how many more cupcakes do we need, anyway?" Naomi muttered, flexing her wrist. Granted, the icing bag made it easier to decorate. With the enchanted tip, every flourish came out perfect, with only the slightest squeeze on Naomi's part. The repetitive motion still seemed to be giving her carpal tunnel.

Alicia slammed her hand down on the table, jostling some of their confections.

"I am sick of your whining. You think I want to do this, either? Be paired up with you and listen to your incessant bitching? No! I don't. But Malcolm needs our help. And seeing as he puts up with your BS regularly, you owe this to him."

She owed it to him? Naomi wondered in shock. What about all the times Malcolm had humiliated and talked down to her? When did she get retribution for that? Before she could bring up any of these things, Alicia put a stop to it.

"I don't want to hear it." Alicia shoved a cupcake topper at Naomi. "Now, you either stab this into a cupcake or I'll stab it into you. Got it?"

As they locked eyes, Naomi debated for a quick moment. She could fight back. She could defy Alicia's bossiness, shout back, put her foot down, but where would that leave them? Still with a hundred more undecorated cupcakes. And potentially some scrapes and bruises if things got too heated.

Even if she did exact this bit of defiance, it wouldn't change anything. She'd still be stuck in this competition, with Alicia's nagging and Malcolm being overbearing. She couldn't win. Not this time. Not for now.