30. PUMPKIN PIE.

Hi guys! I'm sorry for taking so long in putting up the next update. I had a little writer's block with this chapter.

     About more than a year ago…

Harieth

“Is he dead?” I asked myself as a wave of panic filled me. The young man’s body laid still and for the first few seconds, all I did was stare with no clue of what step to take next.

I looked around for any sight of another being but none was seen around our radius. With a swift of deep breath, I took steps closer and rested my knees on the cold floor, pushed my hair behind my ear and leaned closer with the intention to listen for a heartbeat.

Right about that moment, a huff of breath eluded his lips as he turned his head to me, startling me a bit. I watched as he struggled with the urge to regain his consciousness but quite couldn’t.

“Mister are you okay?” I had to ask but his lips barely moved to give me the needed reply. Regardless, a part of me was grateful that he was alive. What a scandal it could have been for me if he actually died by my fault.

I scanned him and realized he had no physical injury and the strong stench of alcohol gave me the greatest detail of what brought him this far. A sigh escaped my lips as I shook my head at his pathetic state. Once again, I stood straight on my two feet, hands akimbo. None of this was my fault, he brought this upon himself which clearly brings me to the conclusion that I’m safe. It was time to leave.

I turned away and walked back to the car. I got in, started the engine and put the car on reverse. Right at that moment when both hands held the stirring wheel, my eyes rested on the young man still lying on the cold floor.

After a while of staring at him, I let out a frustrating sigh. In the end, I’m forced to get down from the car and make my way to him hating the fact that I suddenly grew a conscience.

I pushed the door open, searched for the light switch on the wall then eventually switched it on and with his weight overlapping mine, our steps were uneven but I did my best. With his hand still around my neck and the support from me to him, we were able to make it to the bed. I let him fall on it and he was quick to make himself comfortable.

I felt a little out of breath as I stared at him in annoyance. Honestly, I have no idea why I’m going through all this trouble for a stranger who saw it best to get himself stupidly drunk. My back and shoulder ached a bit and so I stretched out a little. I leaned closer.

“I did my best. I hope we never meet again, okay?” I ended with a light slap on his arm then turned away but suddenly felt a grasp onto my arm and within a moment, I was thrust onto the bed, in-between his arms, cuddled like he was something other than a stranger to me.

Too surprised and shocked to say anything, I stared back into his drowsy eyes that now stared back at me like I meant the whole world to him. My thinking went haywire and a strange feeling took over. Before I knew it, his eyes slowly went shut as he engulfed me further in his arms, creating no space in-between us. I couldn’t seem to utter a word against his actions. It would seem I was under a spell.

“Please don’t leave.” His words came out in a hot breath that fanned my ear. The sincerity in the plea peaked my interest and it made me wonder why such a young man had almost got himself killed. What deep sorrow was he carrying and why does it seem I’m unable to reject his arms around me?

Slightly, I managed to look back up at his face. Though his eyes were shut, he seemed peaceful and he wasn’t so bad to look at.

Get up Harieth.