Remembering

I found myself lying in a soft grassy field that seemed to stretch for miles and miles. The sky above me was a beautiful shade of blue with puffs of cloud here and there as if it was meant to show me how beautiful of a day it was. A cool breeze blew gently past by and I felt strangely at peace.

"Where am I?" I thought out loud.

"You're in the Plain of the Forgotten," came a sweet high-pitched voice.

I jumped at the sound of the voice. My eyes darted around and when I heard a laughter from behind, I quickly spun around. Standing behind me was a little girl who was at most five years old. Her hair was a beautiful shade of chestnut brown. It had been stylishly braided into two pigtails with blue ribbons tied at the end. She was dressed in a simple white cotton dress with a blue satin sash tied around her waist. She reminded me of a flower girl at a wedding.
"Who are you?" I asked her. She giggled and placed both her hands on either side of her hips.

"You've already decided who I am, so who are you?" asked Flower Girl as she pointed a finger at me.

I frowned. What was with her attitude?

"I'm--!" I stopped midway.

Who was I? Nothing came to me. My head cocked to the side as I dug my brain out. Flower Girl followed the same gesture as curiosity glazed over her eyes.

When I couldn't come up with an answer, she sighed and shook her head. Flower Girl reached her hand and out for me and I reluctantly grabbed it. I was quite surprised. For a girl who was so small, she easily pulled me up to my feet.

"So where exactly are we?" I asked.

"Silly. You've already forgotten?" Flower Girl looked like she was going to laugh again.

"I mean, what is this place?" I corrected myself.
"It's the place where souls come when they choose to forget," she answered.

"Are you saying that I'm dead...?" There was no way I was dead. I mean, I couldn't be dead! Last night, I... I don't remember anything.

Flower Girl didn't say anything as she watched me try to come to terms with my death. She waited silently as if she's done this many times before. The breeze blew past by calming the turmoil I felt inside. I breathed out a heavy sigh and finally spoke.

"Am I going to be stuck here forever like this?" I asked.

"That depends," she replied.

"On what, exactly?" I wonder if she's having fun keeping me in suspense. Flower Girl teetered back and forth on her heels and struggled to give an answer.

"That depends on whether you are willing to accept the challenge of rebuilding your memories," Flower Girl said.

If it meant remembering who I was, I was willing.