Chapter 10

Frank watched as Emma paced the floor nervously. Their apartment was only fractionally bigger than the shack, but at least it was more modern. As a bonus, it came with furnishings. The items were dated and worn, but neither of them cared. They were grateful that the limited money that Emma had taken from the till wouldn't have to be spent on buying things that in a year, they couldn't take with them.

They were in the heart of the city, both working jobs and had managed to settle into a reasonable life. A month had passed, and already they were happy. They knew the clock was ticking, that one day soon, their life would be in an upheaval again. Emma no longer wanted to run away, she wanted to stay.

"Would you sit down. You're making me anxious."

"But Frank, he's so cute. I want this to work."

Frank rolled his eyes and drank from the bottle of beer, trying to forget himself in the terrible sitcom television show.

"I don't want to run anymore. Do you think we might be able to stop the agreement?"

He ignored her, she was only being this way because she was letting her emotions get the better of her. He had passed on Lola to keep Emma safe, why was she so carefree with his safety? Frank always believed that they'd taken this path together, but at that moment, he realised that his thoughts were wrong. He was the one that decided who died that night, he doomed Emma to this life rather than letting her die. This was the life that he'd chosen, not her.

A knock at the door sent Emma dashing to her room, freaked out that something might have changed on her since the last time she looked at herself. Frank huffed and got up from his chair, strolling to the door. The guy on the other side looked a little too young for Emma, though she had stated that he was twenty-four. He was the manager of the burger joint on the corner of their street, a place where Emma was working as a cashier. Dating in the workplace, Frank thought, not wise.

Frank was unaware that in her interview for the job, Cody asked for paperwork to confirm who Emma was. They'd left it all behind, and even if they did have something, Emma couldn't use it. She knew that there were two options available to her. One, say that she had nothing and walk away without the job or two, distract him with a little misbehaviour. It was the grand tale of how, at the age of twenty, Emma lost her virginity to her boss on his desk. She'd tell the world it was nothing, all part of the life that she now lived, but if Emma were truly honest, she'd scream to the world that she was the happiest she'd ever been. Cody was good to her, he gave her every single shift she wanted. They'd sneak into the storeroom for romantic interludes, they'd finish the end of the shift on his desk, and then he'd walk her home. He wanted more; he wanted to be official. Emma couldn't believe her luck but always remembered that she was not lucky.

The young man looked at Frank, his darkened features were a little daunting.

"Uh, I was looking for Em... Emma Barton."

Frank said nothing and pushed the door further open, waiting for Emma to stop freaking out. She bustled out of the room, gushing a smile at Cody. He flicked the thick beach blonde hair out of his eyes as he smiled back at her.

"Hi. That's Frank, my brother."

"Hey." He tilted his head at him.

Frank's persona hadn't changed. He was pissed that Emma was altering their dynamic. Frank knew how it was going to work. She would fall in love with Cody, they would move in together and get married, pop out a few kids and poor old Frank would be left to continue the arrangement.

"Home by ten, or I'll send the witch out for you."

Emma watched as the door slammed shut, she knew it wasn't an idle threat. Home by ten or else.

Now that they were alone, Emma wrapped her arms around his, finding warmth against his thick jacket. The holiday season was drawing close, as was the cold that always hammered them hard. She smiled up at Cody, feeling the cold air burn against her cheeks. They were on their way to the movies. At the end of the block was fifties styled movie theatre, complete with a diner attached to it as well. Emma hadn't been in it and was beyond excited to go. Better yet was the man that she was attached to, the bright, sparkling blue eyes and perfect smile, he was like Heaven in the form of a man. She turned back to the view ahead, approaching the corner of the building. Her heart nearly dropped into her stomach when she was faced with someone she never expected to see, Lola.

"Emma!" Lola said eagerly. "How good to see you again."

"Oh yeah."

Emma let out a pained laugh.

"You too."

Nothing had changed, Lola was still the bright eyed woman that was full of life, and Emma was back to the quiet mouse who wanted to hide behind the man she was with.

"So, where's Frank?"

"Uh, not here."

Lola smiled at her, wondering if she would run. She looked like she was weighing up her options.

"I'd love to see him again."

"Sure, we can meet for... lunch."

Emma cringed, wanting to curl into a ball as she remembered that Frank had agreed to see Lola for lunch. Instead, he disappeared.

"No, somehow I don't think lunch will be any good for me. Now is good."

"But we're..."

"I don't really care, I'm sure your friend won't mind if you show an old friend the way."

Cody frowned as he looked at his watch.

"Actually, we might be a bit late for the movie."

"That's all right." She cooed. "They always run the trailers first, you have time."

Lola grabbed Emma's arm by the elbow, tugging it away from Cody.

"Come on, lead the way."

Emma winced a smile at Cody, hoping this didn't dampen their mood for a good night out.