Chapter Twenty-Seven

"He may look ravishing to you, but please keep your... excitement, far from my sight." He pressed a long strand of hair behind his tapered ear, a tick setting in his jaw. His lips were pulled into a grimace.

"Sorry, uh... Lord Helvir.. Helmir. Was it Halmir?" I struggled to find my words as Faelin snorted from behind me. He placed a hand on my shoulder and stepped up to my side.

"He's still new to this." he noted with a fond smirk. His father looked between us, eyes flicking back and forth a few times, before he scoffed and pulled me out of his room. I tumbled out into the stairwell.

His face quickly neared mine; I could feel his angry breath on my neck. "If you hurt my boy at all, I will seek you out and send you to the deadly suction of space. Do you hear me, human?" he growled through clenched teeth, his eye teeth sharper than I thought they'd be.

"Uh-"

"Leave him alone, father. He knows." Faelin trailed out, his sandal wedges clicking against the ground as he walked.

I still couldn't get over how amazing he looked. The shawl, and everything for that matter, fit him perfectly. Not to mention the exposed skin, and partially bare back that came along with the outfit.

"Ahem. If you'll follow me, we must get you ready for the coronation." The realization hit me with full force, slamming into me harder than a truck ever could. My heart was pounding violently. I was going to be crowned today... and declared his mate as well as an entire Lord. My breathing quickened without my knowing.

"Dain, it's okay." Faelin leaned in for a kiss but quickly pulled back, noticing the judgeful look on the Lord's face.

"Save it for later, boy." His father said, before quickly flying down the stairwell with his sash trailing behind him. I sighed, following him down the stairs. Just as I was about to ready myself for the longest walk of my life, Faelin picked me up by the underarms and carried me down with his wings.

"I told you to use the elevator." he whispered to me. I chuckled and gave him a peck on the jaw.

When we reached the bottom, I turned to Faelin and asked, "Are you sure it's safe to carry me again? Doesn't it hurt your wings?"

"Not at all." he replied. Faelin glanced over my shoulder and quickly pressed a quick peck to my cheek. "Now go, don't keep my father waiting." He flung me a wink before zipping away into one of the halls.

I swiveled on my heel to find Halvir, Helvar... whatever, him, to be walking away with his hands folded under his wings.

"Um, sir, Lord," I caught up to him, "where are we going? I barely know the layout of this place."

"It is Halvor, boy." he barked out. A moment of silence passed before he let out a frustrated sigh, "We are to fetch your coronation outfit."

"Right, right... I, uh, I knew that."

This was finally my chance to get some even ground with his father. He seemed like a strict man.. I didn’t want to get on his bad side. I want right up next to him, watching as his eyes flicked over to me in annoyance.

I pulled my hair into a ponytail with the spare band on my wrist. I hadn’t brushed it in days; I must’ve looked like a wreck. Not a good first impression to the Lord of Oletis, huh.

“So...” I started, but he ultimately finished for me.

“Yes, yes. You want to know everything about our planet and lives, as most humans do. Such selfish souls.” He clicked his tongue and rolled his eyes. “As much as I despise the thought of our territory being ruled by a human of all creatures, it cannot be helped. The winds of fate have bound you to alien royalty, it seems.”

We took a sharp left into a corridor, where a more dressed balcony appeared than the last I saw one. Ribbons of silk hung along the railing and vines trailed up the sides of the doorway, two curving tables set up at the edge with fresh foreign treats. A group of young Faeries enjoyed their meal at the tables.

“Come, human. We haven’t much time.” he urged, large wings unfolding to lift himself above the Faeries. I gave him a droll stare, nudging my head at my back. How was I going to fly without wings? This place didn’t exactly have stairs from the balcony.

Halvor sighed, taking my wrist and pulling me up with one heave. My legs dangled in the air, right above the ground. I looked down in a panic, but he told me, “We have amazing stamina. Your previous underestimation is not appreciated.”

“N-Noted.” I stammered, still looking at the way I swung precariously in the air. “Isn’t there an easier way to do this, though? Don’t you have, like, another elevator or something?” His grip loosened on me and I toppled to the floor.

I brushed myself off. “Not from a balcony, no. The magic elevators take one from floor to floor only. There is a ramp at the front of the citadel, for injured or disabled Faeries. Use that one, if you refuse to travel with me. I will wait at the entrance.” With that, he zoomed off with a single flap of his wings.

_

I easily found the ramp at the front. It was right next to the main stairs into the citadel, which I hadn’t seen when Faelin brought me here for the first time. The large doors were lined with armored guards. When I passed, they bowed and pushed open the doors for me.

I still wasn’t used to this.. I don’t think I’ll ever be.

I trailed down the stairs instead of the ramp, just in case a Faerie was injured and I happened to be in the way.. It was either that, or my confidence in my ability to use stairs like a normal person.

I didn't understand why his father didn't just tell me to use the stairs. Why use the handicap ramp?

Halvor stood past the open doors, waiting for me with a quirk to his brow.

“Let us browse the vendors.” he announced.

__