10- here it begins

___________________ARIA'S POV- Present Day -

___________________
ARIA'S POV
- Present Day -

The day of the games has arrived.

There's this weird feeling of excitement circling in the air like vultures. The atmosphere is almost eerie, a tinge of suspense and uncertainty of what'll happen. The games always bring this kind of unpredictability.

Finnick had stayed the night with me, and it's exactly what I needed especially before the games. We both treasured the moment.

Once Finnick had left I went for a shower. I didn't move for from under the falling water for ages. I didn't want to move from the spot knowing that it'll bring me closer to my death.

The tiles at my feet and the hair stuck to my shoulders are a reminder that it won't be like that for much longer. That it'd have to fight to survive again. I didn't even need being in the arena to almost kill me. It only took my own thoughts and the torture I'd endured to make me want to give up. And now that I have to go through it all again makes my mind fill with all these different emotions.

I won't by fighting for my own survival this time, but instead Finnick's. Even if I die in that arena I would've gone down trying to keep Finnick alive. It's all I can strive for while I'm in that horrid kill zone.

I'm now currently brushing my hair as I sit on the bed peering at the mirror in front of me. No amount of sleep could ever remove the exhausted look from my face. I appear so drained of everything, and I feel that way too.

"Aria! Time to go!" The voice of Valentina calls through the door.

I sigh, pulling myself up from my bed. My head diverted to the floor as I trace the marks in the wood with every step I take. I peer up, sending one last glance at my temporary room before opening the door and walking out. I lift my head up high in readiness of what's to come. My eyes are sharp and my posture is stiff, but I know it's all just an act. I'm truly terrified.

As I walk out I spot Finnick standing from the couch, his eyes lock with mine and showcase me every single emotion he's enduring. I walk over to him, not lowering my gaze from his. We act immediately when we reach one another.

I tie my arms around his torso tightly, pulling him into my body. He cups my head, his hand stuffed with my soft brown hair. We stay motionless and speechless in the embrace, knowing that no amount of words would ever express how heartbroken we feel.

We could so easily lose each other in there, even though it should be me more than him. But the reality of it shakes up both terribly. We both know that with one gone that the other can't function, which can be deadly in such a situation we'll be thrown in. I just hope that once I die that Finnick can push through and win this thing.