Chapter 04

Hero had barely settled into his own bed when his footman arrived to tell him that his sister had arrived

Hero had barely settled into his own bed when his footman arrived to tell him that his sister had arrived. Since there was no way he planned to climb back down the stairs, he told the lad to escort her up.

Valiant swept into the room with a radiant smile, but it fell when she noticed him. "Hero, why are you still abed?"

"I fell and hurt a rib yesterday. It's nothing for you to worry about." He knew the lie had been the right choice when her shoulders relaxed.

The footman moved a chair by the bed and his sister fell into it.

She was short and lovely and though she'd also inherited the family nose, somehow it suited her. Like her siblings, she was blonde and blue-eyed. "So, this is the reason you did not come to dinner last evening like you promised?"

He was forced to take short breaths to hide his discomfort. "I would have missed it for little else. How is our father?"

Her expression waned again. "Not well. Did you find Hatcher? I think he's only fighting to see him again." The dog had been missing for months.

"Not yet, but I'll find him." Hero had arrived home only to find his father gravely ill with a final request to see Hatcher again. His brothers had tried to look for him but to no avail. Hero vowed he would find Hatcher if it was the last thing he did.

"Do you believe you'll be well enough to attend the theatre this evening? There is a new play. I'm sure it's been years since you've seen one. We plan to sit in Asher's box." Asher was their eldest brother. His real name wasn't Asher. Like Hero's own, it was... odd, but the name was never spoken aloud.

Assurance

Their parents had made an agreement. If the first child they had was a boy, their mother could name their children anything she wished. Asher had been first, then Hero.

Then came their younger brother Laurel, who everyone called Lore, and finally Valiant, who adored her name though most everyone knew her as Lady Val or Lady Beaumont, since she was married.

Their parents had enjoyed life. They'd never needed a reason to celebrate. They'd been in love and full of joy. Lady Ayers had christened all her children with odd names in the hope it could contribute to their character.

"Save me a seat," he told his sister.

She stood. "Excellent. Then it will just be the four of us." The four meant her husband would not be joining them.

Beaumont was a very busy man. He had the mind of a lord of old. He was agreeable but calculating and forever trying to grow his own empire. If the man were to fight for possession of the Crown, Hero would not be surprised.

The Curbain family only liked him because he had a tendency to dote on his wife.

Valiant rang the bell. "I'll have a servant bring up a deck of cards and you can tell me how you truly hurt yourself."