09 | Talk About a Snoozefest

After changing my bedding and finally settling in for some sleep, I expected that by morning, I'd be able to work out an idea of how Lizzie and I are going to get back at Rita. But as the two of us eat our breakfast, my mind is still struggling to come up with anything worth mentioning.

Unfortunately, Lizzie's in the same boat. We've been picking at our food with furrowed brows, focused silence settling between us as the rest of the room chatters on. On the bright side, there are no workshops today, meaning we have the entire day to figure out our next move.

As I take another bite of my apple, an idea clicks-- not exactly a prank, but at least something that could lead us to one.

"Hey," I start, getting Lizzie to look up from her oatmeal, "Since there aren't any workshops today, what if we followed Rita and Mei around to try to dig something up?"

Lizzie purses her lips, nodding at the suggestion. "There is a chance we could overhear something they wouldn't want us to." Her expression brightens. "Or even catch them doing something embarrassing. And if we bring our phones, we could get a picture."

I laugh, knowing it's unlikely but liking her enthusiasm. Plus, it's the best thing we've got so far. "Hopefully we're lucky and Rita turns out to be an avid nose-picker or something."

We finish our meal and keep an eye on Rita from across the cafeteria. When she and Mei get up, throw out their trash, and leave, Lizzie and I sneak out behind them. We keep our distance as they walk to their cabin and head inside, totally out of view. As we hunch behind a few bushes, I feel my optimism retreat.

"Well that wasn't very exciting," I whisper, watching the door for any sign of them.

"There's an open window-- we should get closer, see if we can hear anything."

Lizzie's tiptoeing over before I can argue that someone might see us perched under their window and rat us out.  I follow her, the two of us squatting beneath the shutters. I keep my eyes trained on the empty path, my heartbeat quickening at our obviously suspicious position. 

"I wish I could've seen the look on their faces," Rita's voice comes from the window above us. Lizzie and I give each other a look, rolling our eyes. Of course she's still gloating over her prank. "And they didn't even have the nerve to say anything about it at breakfast."

"I'm sure that'll end it," Mei speaks up. "They'll back off now."

Ha! Back off? Fat chance.

"If another thirteen-year-old boy comes up to me and mentions worms one more time, I swear I'm gonna lose it. Let's go," Rita says, and there are obvious footsteps against the wooden floor.

"One sec," Mei replies.

Lizzie shifts to all fours, crawling on the grass to avoid the windows as she makes her way to the back of the cabin. I follow and hear the front door squeak open just as I round the corner. Lizzie stands and peeks out around the building. 

"They're in their bathing suits and carrying towels," she whispers. "Heading towards the lake."

"We can follow from behind the cabins," I suggest, wiping grass and dirt from my knees.

She nods, the two of us continuing to stalk, hurrying to stay behind the cabins and trying to be light on our feet as we avoid twigs and branches.

"The whole thing is just so immature," Rita huffs. "I didn't want to spend my summer dealing with dumb and dumber, you know? I just want to star in my play, get a good tan, and get Ethan to ask me out."

Lizzie looks at me and smirks, shaking her head as if saying Never gonna happen.

"I wonder why he was talking to Delena and Lizzie last night," Mei ponders. Well, it's at least nice knowing I'm not the only one who's still thinking about that.