6

CHEMISTRY WAS THE ROOT of all his problems, that Mateo was sure of. Or at least it was this hour. Chase seemed to be in the same boat though, sadness in his eyes as he looked up at him. Though they could do practically whatever they wanted in the hallways, most of St Joseph's teachers were actual devils. They often were old students and ruled their classes with an iron fist, which meant Mateo had made a record in how many classes he had gotten kicked out of in the beginning. Gabriela had scolded him so often though that he had finally decided to listen and these days he actually wasn't the worst student.

This was one of the classes where he was though. It wasn't even the teacher, because he somehow liked the 6'6 demon of a man, the thick scar running across his left cheek from a knife fight he had once been in. No, it was the subject, none of the terms making any sense to him.

"I know we're having anger management classes these days," he said," but they could better remove this instead, because I've never felt such an intense need to punch someone."

"You always feel the intense need to punch someone, Mateo," Chase said.

"You got me there."

The door opened then, Gabriela walking in with Jay and Sahar closely behind her. She was elegance in the sunlight, danger in the shadows, her eyes of sharp steel when she reached a halt in front of the class.

"We have two new students," she said.

Her underlying words were clear, though she didn't speak them. Don't you dare bother them. Mateo doubted there was someone stupid enough not to listen.

"Nice to meet you!" Sahar smiled," I'm Sahar Dirani."

She nudged Jay on when he didn't speak up, but he just scowled.

"Okay," she said then, continuing as she waved at him," well this ray of sunshine here is Jae-Soo Ryder, though he prefers to go by Jay."

"Don't talk to me," Jay said.

His snarl was drowned out by the murmurs though as everyone discussed their parents, the surnames not having gone past them.

"Ryder? As in ambassador Ryder?"

"Isn't Dirani from DC? They have the best lipsticks."

"What are two rich kids doing here?"

"They transferred from Athena," Gabriela said," and will remain here for a brief period which I'll guide them through. So if anyone has a problem for them, you go to me, alright?"

Mateo knocked on his table then, a lazy smile on his face as he looked around. They all seemed to get the message though, most of them quickly shutting their mouth.

If you mess with Gabriela, you mess with me.

"Well then," the teacher said, gesturing at the two empty seats in the back," let's all sit down, class will resume."

"Great speech, Nena," he smiled as Gabriela passed, hand lingering on her wrist.

"I know you helped, Mateo," she said, before ruffling a hand through his hair as she continued on.

His eyes widened, hands raised in an attempt to salvage his hairstyle, but she just smiled.

"Please get a room."

"Jealous, Chase?" Mateo said as he ran a hand through his hair, giving up," you know you're still my one and only."

"I better be," Chase said, before glancing at Sahar, his voice becoming more nervous," but hey, do you know if she's single?"

"Not sure," Mateo shrugged," she seems close with the fun dude, though I have only spoken like four words with them."

Class resumed then and passed without a hitch, much to Mateo's surprise. He had expected Jay to cause another fight at least, but the new kid was the first to leave the room, only to never come back for the other lessons.

"Did he just skip?" Gabriela fumed as they sat down in fourth period, all hope of Jay returning gone.

"He always does," Sahar shrugged," he was the same in Athena."

"Are you guys close?" Mateo said as he placed himself in front of them, Chase quickly following suit beside him.

His friend gave him a thankful glance and he tried to resist the need to do a thumbs up to him. This was his moment to find out if Sahar and Jay were dating or not.

"Not particularly," Sahar said," though I do like him. He's a sweetheart, I know so."

Chase's eyes widened, but Mateo quickly followed up with another question.

"You like him?" he said.

"I didn't know a lot about him at first," she said," but he almost never showed up at school, so I couldn't have. When I organized a climate strike though he was there and he helped me out too."

"You organized a climate strike?" Chase said, eyes becoming more dreamy as he looked at her.

"Just a few," she said," I thought doing one at Athena, where the parents of the students alone are important enough to have a major impact on global warming would be the first step in a much needed process."

"I love girls who care about the planet," Chase said in what Mateo guessed to be an attempt at flirting.

"Isn't that all girls?" Sahar frowned.

Chase blinked, quickly looking away to hide his reddening cheeks. To give his friend time, Mateo changed the subject, his arms folded on Sahar's table as he leaned forward.

"Why does Jay skip that much class anyway?"

"I have no clue," Sahar said," but even if I did, it's up to him to tell you that, not me. I think you two have guessed as well from his earlier reply what his relation with his parents is, though I know as much as you do. We never really spoke outside of the climate strike he helped me with and the time that got us expelled."

"I respect that," Mateo said," can you tell us more about when you got expelled though? I'm curious."

"It was because of that boycot I organized," Sahar sighed," it got wildly out of hand. Soon the fire alarm was going off and everyone was running, shouting and pushing. Jay got in an argument with the vice-principal about something and then punched him, I rushed to stop him. And well, here we are."

"Here you are," Mateo drawled," well, we're glad to have you."

And with that, he meant Chase. He flashed a grin at his friend, but Chase seemed to be too embarrassed to really notice him. It was then he felt Gabriela's gaze on him and Mateo looked up, only to see that she was looking at him rather strangely.

"What's wrong, Nena?" he asked.

She looked away then, tucking a lock behind her ear as she focused her eyes on the teacher.

"Nothing."