5 ❥ Shatter

Tressandra

    I take a deep breath, throwing a look over both of my shoulders before opening the door. It's a good thing no one locks the pack office building. I would've been screwed. It doesn't mean I don't need to be careful.

      Each step is dangerous, every sound a liability. It's long past midnight, but I hear voices deep in the house laughing and carrying on. It's not odd for everyone to stay up and hangout. There's not much else to do here.

    I know exactly where I'm going, seeing as how it's the very room that I spend my days in when I come here for work. The room where the boss sits as he barks orders at me. I hate being the Alpha's assistant.

     I go straight for the wooden desk next to the window, I slide the last drawer open, I sift through the contents until I find what I'm looking for. The handkerchief unravels until the little ring falls into my palm. My eyes widen at the big diamond on top. It glistens in the starlight, winking at me.

     Taking a deep breath, I hold the oxygen in my lungs while I listen steadily to the empty house and my heartbeatz No one calls out my name. No one yells for me to stop. I'm going to get away with this.

     I twist my fingers around the cold metal. The jewelry practically burns my skin. This is wrong. I know it is, I feel it deep down.

     My mom's idea to frame Klepto was the only thing to stop her. She told me if I don't do this that I'll pay for it. I know what that means. She'll hurt me.

     I love my sister. I'm also dying.

     My bones ache. My skin is slick with stains of blood and splashed with purple spots where bruises still remain. I don't know if I can hold on much longer. My soul is deteriorating, my mind flaking, I can't get past this. One more beating could be the end of me. My sanity will shatter. I don't know what else to do. I'm desperate.

     Klepto will be kicked out of the pack. I know it, Alpha Green threatens to banish her almost every day when he talks about her. I'm tired of hearing it. I'm tired of my Mother bitching about her.

     All I can think of is that she'll be free. That has to count for something, right?

     There's nothing malicious about agreeing to this. I'm safe from Mother's hand, and Klepto will be free of this place. It will work out. Her mate hasn't accepted her, the pack hates her, and our family ignores that she even exists.

     She deserves better, but I deserve whatever happens to me. I'm evil. My soul is black. Every mark on me is placed for a reason. I never should have existed.

     Tears slip down my cheeks while I walk swiftly out of Alpha Green's room. I go down the hall towards Klepto's room, hidden above Dr.Paulinni's office in the attic. I know she's here. She's sleeping.

     Fortunately for me, Kelpto has always been a very deep sleeper.

    All the lights are turned off. I sneak inside, closing  the door and hurrying up the attic stairs that creak with every little step and movement.

     Even though the ring is tiny, it feels like a hundred pounds in my pocket. I wipe at my tears, trying to not make a sound as I sneak up to her bedside. Her dark hair is spilled across her pillowcase, and she would look graceful if it weren't for the fact that her mouth is hanging open. A little bit of drool leaks out of the corners of her lips.

     Slowly, I ease my hand under her head, putting the ring securely underneath the pillow.

     Klepto doesn't move, she doesn't even make a sound. I think I'm safe.