Part 9

"Welcome home, honey!" my mom gushed from the front door. I pulled a suitcase from my car and grinned up at her. God, I'd missed her.

The house was decorated from top to bottom- bright white lights twinkled from the eavestroughs, fake candles decorated every window. Pine garlands and lights wrapped around the porch railings, and decorative candy canes lined the sidewalk. Even an inflatable Santa waved lifelessly from the roof.

"Wow, mom. Dan really likes Christmas, doesn't he?" I laughed.

"He's nutty over the holidays." She grinned. "Just go with it. He's made us a huge feast for your return!"

"I'm just glad I'm somewhere warm." I admitted. "New York is freezing right now. Six inches of snow on the ground!"

"Oh, wow!" I heard Dan exclaim as he appeared in the doorway. His slightly balding head was covered with a red Santa hat. "Let me get these." He took my suitcase, and I followed him inside.

"Where's Henry?" my mom asked.

"Oh, uh... I got in a little early, so I figured we could have some family time before I told him I was here." I lied.

I didn't want to admit to my mom that I was avoiding him. A month ago, when he'd come to New York for Thanksgiving, we'd slept together for the first time. It was passionate, heartfelt... and it absolutely terrified me. I'd tried to keep myself at a distance emotionally, but when he'd shown up, I'd realized how lonely I was. I gave into my feelings and it ended up with us in bed together. As soon as it was over, the only thing I could think of was Will. 

We were close to our 1-year anniversary, but I wasn't sure how much longer I could fake being happy. I put on a smile, but there was just so much I was keeping from him. We'd had a fight right before he left (he could tell I was being distant and got mad when I refused to talk about why), and we'd only spoken a handful of times since. He'd told me he wanted to continue to date, but that we needed to have a serious talk once I came home for the holidays. I was not looking forward to that conversation, even if it might free me from the guilt I felt.

"How was Christmas?" I deflected.

"Lovely." My mother went into the kitchen, bringing some finished food out to the dining table. "Dan got me some jewelry. Henry came over for dinner. It was as pleasant a Christmas as I've had in a decade- but it would have been perfect if you'd been here." She set down a bowl and hugged me tightly.

"Well, I'm here now." I squeezed her tight. "Any plans for tonight?"

"Dan and I might stay up to watch the ball drop, but I'm not sure if we'll make it that late." She laughed. "This guy is usually out by 10:30." She let go and glanced to the other side of the room.

Dan returned from putting my suitcase away. He looked pointedly at her, nodding his head like he was nudging her to do something.

"What... what's going on?" I asked, looking between the two of them.

"You know that jewelry I said Dan got me? Well... it was kind of important jewelry." She lifted her left hand to reveal a large engagement ring.

"OH MY GOSH, mom! That's so great!" I beamed. "Congratulations!"

Dan wrapped his arms around my mom. They were really a great couple. My mom did nothing but gush about him whenever we talked. He was so sweet, and reliable. He was exactly the kind of guy my mom needed. It made me feel less guilty about going so far away for school.

After dinner, I'd excused myself to go lay down. Ten hours straight in the car had made me stiff all over, and I needed to stretch out. Just as I was drifting to sleep, my phone buzzed next to me. It was a phone call, not a text, which meant someone really needed to talk to me (either that, or it was a freaking telemarketer- who I was prepared to cuss out).

Katelyn?

"Hey, Kate." I answered. "How did you know I was in town?"

"Henry said you were coming into town tonight. I wasn't sure if you were here yet. Listen," she sounded a little frantic. "My mom's in St. Bart's with some friends, and Adam went to Japan with his family. I just got home from visiting my grandma, and it looks like my house was broken into."

"Oh my god!" I exclaimed, sitting up. "Where's your dad? Did you call the police?"

"No, I haven't called the police yet." She sounded like she was gonna cry. "I needed to talk to you first. My dad is gone, but his keys are still here. I'm not sure anything was taken from the house, but there is a note."

"What does it say?" I stood, throwing my shoes back on. I raced down the steps and out the front door before anyone could stop me.

Her voice quivered. "I didn't open it yet. It's, uh... it's addressed to you."

*****************

I knocked hard on the front door of Katelyn's enormous house. It had been at least eight months since I'd been there, but it looked pretty much the same. The door swung open to reveal my best friend, whose face was red and wet with tears. I pulled her into a hug.

"It's gonna be okay. Show me the note, then we call the cops." I directed. She nodded and led me past overturned furniture and emptied drawers to her dad's office. Sitting on his untouched desk was an envelope, sealed with wax. The front of the envelope had my name on it- in her dad's handwriting. I picked it up and tore it open without thinking.

"What does it say?" Katelyn asked.

"Brenna- I need your help. Bring my last gift to... Ravencrest Manor." I swallowed, my heart dropping. "Please do it before midnight. I'm not sure I have much time......." I paused, reading a few words silently. "Meet me in the cemetery, behind the garden. -Jay."

"Is that it?" she grabbed the note from my hand, panicking. "Well, he's at Ravencrest then, isn't he?"

"I think so." I stepped back, snatching the letter back before she could read it. "I'm gonna do what he says. You call the police about the break-in. I'll let you know if I find him." I dashed out the door, my heart moving me faster than my feet could handle.

******************

11:46. The adrenaline pumped wildly in my veins as the car skidded to a stop in front of Ravencrest. I barely had time to be sad over the sight of it. If Jay was in trouble, I needed to hurry. Running home to get what he'd asked me to bring had eaten up a lot of the time that remained before midnight.

I remembered seeing the Ravencrest cemetery, though I'd never gone beyond the fence. I raced around the manor, through the garden, and opened the gates. The hallowed grounds were sprawling- a few acres, at least. Gravestones of all sizes and conditions surrounded me- most of them with the last name Ravencrest. Huge weeping willows drooped and cascaded like curtains, preventing me from seeing everything from where I was standing. The moonlight peeked through only a tiny fraction.

"Jay?" I called out. "Are you here?"

I heard a muffled sound and some movement ahead of me. It was so dark, but my eyes were starting to adjust. At first, I only saw the outline of one person. But as I came closer, I realized there were two people- one standing with a gun outstretched, and one lying unconscious on the ground.

"Oh my god, Henry!" I cried.

What was happening?