Chapter 14

"Finch, Mama's waiting!" Kiona called from the other side of Foxface's bedroom door. "It's four-thirty, let's go, let's go!"

"I'm coming, Kiki," Foxface groaned, exasperated.

She snatched up her blue chiffon dress off of her oak dresser and threw the door open, nearly hitting her little sister in the face.

"Hey, watch where you're swinging that door, lady," Kiona pouted.

Foxface tried to stifle a laugh.

"You look like a boss with your glasses," Kiona grinned.

"Thanks."

"Now get a move on, woman, we haven't got all day."

Foxface laughed at her ten-year-old sister and followed her as they sprinted down the stairs and out the front door, scrambling into their mom's Mazda.

"Ready?" Catherine asked excitedly as she pulled into the street.

"Mom, you're more excited than I am."

"Then get more excited," Kiona said, like it was the only logical solution.

"This one," Catherine sighed. "What are we gonna do with you?"

"You could give me more iPad time," she hinted.

"You're funny," Catherine scoffed.

"I try."

"So Finch, when you get to Glimmer's, make sure to thank Amie for-"

"Having me for dinner and helping me get ready," Foxface finished. "I got it, Mom."

"Okay," Catherine said. "And at the dance-"

"Make good choices. We had this talk already."

Catherine laughed. "I know, I just want you to be responsible."

"Ha," Kiona grinned. Foxface smacked her sister's arm. "Ow! Mama, did you see that?"

"Finch, please don't provoke your sister," Catherine sighed. "She already runs around trying to pick a fight with everyone she sees."

Foxface scowled. "How is that my fault?"

"Finch."

"Okay."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

"What time do you need me to pick you up from the school?" Catherine asked.

"Um..." Foxface remembered that Finnick and Cato had mentioned hanging out on the grounds after the dance and heading back to Cato's house for a bit (he had promised them that Julia was okay with it). "I think we're going to walk back to Cato's after," she said, "but I don't know."

"Well, text me when you get to Cato's and I can pick you up then."

"But, Mom, we were going to hang out there for a while."

Catherine sighed. "What time does the dance start?"

"Seven o'clock."

"Until when?"

"Ten-ish," Foxface said.

"Can I pick you up from Cato's at eleven?"

Foxface knew that the others would be there later, but she also knew that her mom was already stretching her privileges. "Okay," she finally said.

"I think that's a fair compromise."

"But why does Finch get to stay out until eleven when you pick me up from people's houses at nine?" Kiona whined.