Chapter Twelve

"I'm open! I'm open!" Evan shouts.

Zeke ignores him and throws the ball into the air, missing the basket by a good ten feet.

"What's wrong with you, dumbass? I told you I was open!" Evan exclaims.

"Sorry, dude! I thought I could make the shot."

"That was the worst shot I've ever seen in my life!"

I roll my eyes. Gym class is awful enough without Evan's raging testosterone.

Coach Wright blows his whistle, and I race to the locker room before the basketballs are even put away. Over time, I've mastered the art of changing out of my gym clothes before anyone else has even exited the gymnasium. I don't want my classmates to see the blue and purple bruises and white and pink scars that cover my body like paint on a canvas.

As I tie my shoes, Haven walks toward me. Still in her gym attire, covered in sweat and short of breath, she asks, "Hey, can we talk?"

I look behind me, hoping there is someone in the shadows I didn't notice before, but it's just the two of us.

"Listen," she goes on, "Damian and I are just friends, okay? I know you two have been at each other's sides since, like, elementary school, and I don't want to get in the middle of that."

"Well, Damian and I are just friends, too," I assure her, "so if you like him—"

"I don't! Not like that, anyway." She shakes her head, a melancholy smile tugging at her lips. "We bonded over the fact that we're both being raised by single moms because our deadbeat dads left us when we were embryos. It seems like everyone else in this town has two parents who adore them, you know?"

No, I don't know. My mom left when I was a toddler, and my dad wishes she had taken me with her. I don't even know what it's like to have one parent who adores me, never mind two.

But I don't tell Haven that. I simply smile, nod my head, and say, "I get it. You guys have a mutual understanding."

"I just saw how upset you were the other day. It kind of seemed like you had feelings for him, which is totally fine if you do. Like I said, I'm not interested," she reiterates. "I guess the real reason I came over here is because I don't want to be one of those girls who has beef with another girl over some guy. That's not me. That's never been me."

"That isn't me, either," I reply.

"Great, because I have an offer for you." She sits down next to me and takes off her sneakers. "My mom owns a restaurant in town. I don't know if you've heard of it. Gabby's Diner?"

"The name sounds familiar, but I've never been there."

"Well, you can work a cash register, right? My mom's looking for some extra help over the summer, and Damian tells me that you're looking for a reason to get out of the house and maybe make some extra money, so I was thinking—"

"Yes!" I interrupt. "I'll scrub toilets, bus tables, anything."

She chuckles. "I'm sure Mom will be happy to hear that. Why don't you stop by after school today and talk to her? With your enthusiasm, she'll probably put you to work right away."

"I definitely will."

"Cool! See you later, Layla."

I watch as she crosses the tile floor, her gym shoes dangling from her hand. I should have thanked her. She just gave me the one thing I've been looking for: a way to escape Hank for the summer. It isn't even about the money—that is a bonus, of course—but rather the fact that I'll be away from home, in a public place, where Hank can't put his hands on me.

As far as I'm concerned, any "beef" we might have had is gone. She's an angel. It's no wonder her name is Haven.

<><><><><><>

"Damian, wait!" I call out, sprinting to keep up with my best friend's long strides.

He turns around. "Oh, so you're talking to me again?"

I roll my eyes. "Don't be a drama queen."

"You ignore me for three days, and I'm a drama queen?"

"I see your point."

He lets out a sigh, his features softening like butter on a summer day. "Are you okay, Layla?"

"I'm great, actually." I stand on my tiptoes and wrap my arms around his neck. "Thank you."

His arms encircle my waist. "Uh, for what?"

"For telling Haven I was in need of a job this summer. I'm going to talk to her mom after school."

"Oh, yeah. Well, you know, it was nothing."

"It was everything."

"You might think otherwise, but I do care about you," he says, pulling away. "Even if I spend time with other people, it doesn't mean I love you less."

I knew this conversation was coming. It was unavoidable. I lead us to a sunny spot on the quad and take a seat in the lush grass.

"I was being immature. I am immature," I admit. "I saw you flirting with Haven, and I got—"

"Jealous?" he cuts in.

"Yes, but not for the reasons you think," I say quickly. "I know you have other friends, but I seldom ever see you with them. When I came across you and Haven... I don't know. As lame as it sounds, I'm afraid of being replaced."

He shakes his head. "If you think I could ever replace you—"

"My life is a mess, Damian. I'm a mess," I cut him off, glancing downward. "Look, now that you know about my dad... well, it changes everything. What if... what if you get scared and run away?"

He places his hand over mine, soothing my nerves and slaying the butterflies in my stomach. "Layla," he whispers, "if I ever decide to run away, I'm sure as hell taking you with me. I pinky swore on it, remember?"

"Please. There's a big, beautiful world out there. I've read about it. Don't you want to see it with me?"

He let out a sigh before finally saying, "Okay, let's do it."

We locked pinkies, and my future suddenly looked a lot brighter.

Tears sting my eyes. "That was back in kindergarten."

"And I haven't forgotten."

I wipe my eyes with the back of my hand. I've said before that I don't know what I would do without Damian. This, right here, is why.

"Need a lift to Gabby's Diner?" he asks, rising to his feet and then helping me to mine.

"That would be great," I reply.

We sneak into the wooded area surrounding the high school before teleporting across town.

<><><><><><>

I'm still beaming as I open the trailer door and enter our sad excuse of a home. I got the job! Haven's mom, Gabrielle, hired me before I even started my interview.

"I like your energy," she told me. "Plus, my daughter says good things about you."

I'm excited to start working. I'm excited to be able to make and save money. I'm excited to get to know Gabrielle and Haven.

Mostly, I'm excited to get out of this miserable house for the summer.

Hank moves from his spot on the couch when he sees me. He reeks of beer and tobacco. I offer a polite smile, pour myself a glass of water, and beeline it to my room. No one, not even him, can spoil my good mood.

A/N:
That's the end of freshman year. Get ready for some new faces and more craziness 😜