3 - Desire, Despair

On the night of Chet Danburry's party, Knox came home with a bloody nose, a few scars on his cheek and forehead, along with a busted lip. Being the clever guy he was, Charlie took advantage of this situation to get closer to his "beloved Romeo". He volunteered to nurse the latter's scars each night using a gauze pad, ointment, and an ice pack. 

"So tell me, Knoxious," said Charlie. "how did you land yourself in trouble this time?"

"Chet thought I was making out with Chris."

Oh, I knew it. Charlie rolled his eyes. You shouldn't even be hanging out with her in the first place. She's a bad influence.

Pitts (Knox's roommate) stood up from his bed and said, "Listen, I'm off to find Meeks. We're working on a hi-fi system. You two'll be okay by yourselves?"

Charlie nodded. More than okay.

Pitts stepped out and shut the door behind him. Charlie's heart began to race, but he just kept on dabbing the ointment on Knox's skin. Be cool, be cool. Now don't do anything rash. Don't even think of kissing him, for God's sake. Don't-

Knox suddenly yawned. "Hey, I'm getting tired. Mind if I fall asleep?" 

"Uh, nope, not at all." Charlie shook his head. 

Knox sighed. "Well, good night."

"G'night."

He lay still, safe and warm under the covers, breathing quietly. The moonlight spilled onto his features, producing an image so terrifyingly tempting that not even a guy like Charlie Dalton could resist. The kiss of a lifetime was right here in front of him.

It'll only last a second. It'll only last a second.

He bent down, closed his eyes, held his breath. Here it comes, Charlie, the moment you've been waiting for...

Five...

Four...

Three...

Two...

"Chris..." Knox murmured. "Chris..."

---

Charlie stormed out of the room, angry, irritable, to the surprise of many.

"Hey, you alright?" asked Neil.

"No. Leave me alone."

"How's Knox doing?" asked Todd. 

Charlie didn't answer that.

"Well? Why won't you tell us?" demanded Cameron.

"Yeah, Dalton, speak up!" chimed Meeks. 

"What's wrong, cat got your tongue?" teased Pitts. 

Charlie was on the brink of losing it. 

Luckily, he slipped away from the hubbub just in time.