Thirty-Two // Thought I'd Stop By

Oliver Greene

The week passed like a blur. It was Friday before I knew it and the entire school was buzzing about the game. I had decided to finish my history project in the library, hoping it would keep me focused enough to finish it in time, so I went straight to the library after my last class.

I sat there, in the empty room tapping my pencil on my textbook as I searched for the answer to the last question. I looked up at the clock to see it was nearing 7. The game would be starting soon. I looked back at my paper, hoping I'd be able to focus despite my heart racing at the thought of seeing Ben at the game.

I finally found the answer and jotted it down. I quickly compiled all my work, glancing back at the clock as I emailed my project to my teacher, my thoughts drifting away from school work and towards the homecoming game. Or more specifically one of the players. I packed up my things and left the library, locking the door behind me.

It can't hurt to stop by. I thought to myself, knowing there was definitely an ulterior motive to wanting to go. I shut my laptop and hurried to my locker, dropping my backpack off before walking outside towards the field. The sun had already set and the stadium lights were glowing. The stands were packed, a sea of blue and grey, and the crowd was already cheering.

I walked around the field towards the stands, seeing the players were starting to line up for kick off. I found a seat at the end of the stands and sat down, smiling as I saw Ben look towards his teammates and give them directions.

I found myself getting increasingly invested in the game as it went on. I was getting a hang of the cheers and the rules, and by half time I was standing up and clapping as Eastside led by 14 points. They jogged off the field, heading to the locker room. My eyes finally found Ben just as he pulled off his helmet, a huge smile on his face as he jogged with his teammates.

"Yeah Ben!" I called as I kept clapping. He looked in my direction and smiled even wider, the smeared eye black on his face accentuating his light brown eyes. Ben waved in my direction before a teammate clapped him on the shoulder and he jogged into the locker room. I smiled and decided to go get a snack during halftime.

"Oliver! What are you doing here?" I heard someone say as I stood in line at the concession stand. I smiled when I looked over and saw Mia.

"Hey Mia." I greeted. She joined me at the end of the line and bumped my shoulder.

"What are you doing here? I thought you hated football games." Mia teased. I felt my cheeks burn as she spoke.

"I don't know, wanted to give it a try I guess." I replied.

"Nothing to do with a certain someone on the field?" she asked, nudging me. I felt my cheeks heat up. "Three pretzels and three Cokes please." Mia said, moving up to the counter to give our order.

"Maybe." I mumbled. She laughed as she paid the man behind the counter and he handed her the food.

"Do you want to sit with us?" Mia asked, nudging me.

"Yeah, that sounds great." I replied. I walked to the stands with her, where she was sitting with Reese, a girl from our calc class.

"Hey Oliver! What a great game, huh?" Reese greeted, Mia handing her a drink and pretzel.

"Hey Reese. Yeah, it is." I replied with a smile as I sat down next to Mia.

Halftime ended and Eastside jogged back out onto the field. I looked at the field for number 15. I finally found him, huddled with the other players giving them a pep talk before the upcoming half.