Chapter 2

(Time skip: A week later)

Victoria's P.O.V

Everyday after the first one felt like it was exactly the same. Walking around the house that grew too familiar too quickly, eating the same types of meals three times a day, and the endless chatter of what was typically talked about that seemed important. Everyday became a boring blur fast. Even trying to ask about taking a simple walk through town was too much.

But today was the worst day out of all of them because Adrain was holding a party to show his family and people who worked for him that he was to be marrying me. It was a party to finally gain claim over me and officially announce that I would be his pretty little wife forever. The day it would all settle in that all of this would become my normal.

Standing off to the side in the huge garden that was apart of his house, I observed Adrain from afar. With his bright, perfect smile he greeted everyone that came up to him. He wasn't a bad man, not even close, but his need to tie me down with him was what irritated me. It was like living with mother all over again with no more of my grandmother to fill me with dreams. Unconsciously I touched the chain of my necklace to remind myself again of her fantastic tales.

"Are you still wearing that old thing?" Mother asked from behind me.

I put my hand down, not even bothering to face her, "You know I will never take it off."

She stepped up next to me, "You are a young women now, not a child. You will forget these childish stories and stop thinking about sailing the seas."

"It doesn't matter what you say, I will think what I want to think. I'm already marrying Adrain for you, that is what you wanted."

Her eyes narrowed at me from my snappy tone but the truth that I told her about marrying Adrain kept her mouth shut. She couldn't control my  thoughts, I would never allow it. But I was doing what she wanted and that was to marry Adrain to get our family out of debt. More specifically, to keep her out of debt.

"Fine but you will keep your attitude in check or I will take your stupid necklace and smash it."

This time it was my turn to shut my mouth. Even though I would never let her take my necklace, I wasn't about to test my luck with her patience. I only had one chance to keep the last piece of my grandmother safe from mother's wrath. I walked away from her, taking a deep breath in the process to keep myself calm as I idled around the beautiful flowers of the garden to occupy my mind. Suddenly Adrain came up next to me.

"I see you like the flowers I had planted."

I straightened my posture and faced him, "I do very much."

"Good, that makes me glad."

He reached down, enveloping my small hand in the warmth of his. He looked down at me again, no love within his gaze, just admiration.

"It's almost time to make the announcement. Many people are already starting to ask about the beautiful girl wondering around."

"I apologize, I've just been...nervous about today."

"There is nothing to be nervous about."

That was a lie if I ever heard one. On the inside my stomach was churning widely, my hands almost to the point of shaking. I wanted nothing more then to stop this but I couldn't, I wasn't ready for this. And on top of all of that, I didn't want to marry Adrain.

There was a loud but gentle chime ringing throughout the air, immediately everyone falling quiet. I jumped at the sound and looked up to the front to see a man who greatly resembled Adrain, the only difference being his hair was beginning to grey and skin slowly wrinkling.