Chapter 22

The sea roared, a sudden wind gushed embracing both their bodies and the waves gained their speed and were now engulfing the sand instead of kissing it.

The clouds tried to cover the full, bright moon and the stars played hide and seek in the dark sky.

Zhan and Yibo stood there, looking at each other's face, an unknown emotion wrapping both their senses.
Both their brows were now knitted and a confused expression was evident on both their faces.

"What did you just say? "
They asked each other in unison.

They both stared at each other while they took a deep breath in order to calm themselves.

"I mean... I just heard you say someone's name... " Zhan said.

"Me? " Yibo asked.

"Yes... " Zhan said.

"Well, I don't remember saying anything... But I actually heard you say someone's name... " Yibo said looking at Zhan.

"What? Me? " Zhan asked pointing at himself.

"Yes... " Yibo said.

"Well, I don't remember anything either... " Zhan said.

They stared at each other's confused face. Neither of them remembered what they had just said, but they still felt a deja vu. They felt like they had experienced a similar kind of argument sometime before. They tried hard to recollect their memories, but nothing seemed to work.

Zhan shook his head, so as to clear the thoughts flooding his mind.

"Anyways, just leave me alone. " Zhan said turning away from Yibo.

"Stop acting childish, Zhan. " Yibo said.

"I'll act childish and you can neither stop me nor convince me. " Zhan said.

"Xiao Zhan! What's wrong with you? " Yibo raised his voice.

"Stop yelling at me, Wang Yibo. " Zhan said in a low whisper this time.

"Look at me, Zhan! " Yibo held Zhan's arm and pulled him towards himself, so as to look at Zhan's face. But, he was taken aback and his heart clenched when he saw Zhan's tear filled eyes.

"Zhan... " Yibo whispered as he cupped Zhan's face.
"What's wrong? "

"Just go away, Yibo. Go away! " Zhan yelled as he pushed Yibo away from him.

"You'll die, Yibo. You'll die! You'll die because of me! " Zhan yelled as tears rolled down his cheeks.

"Zhan... Nothing's gonna happen... " Yibo tried to convince Zhan. He took a step towards Zhan, but he was stopped by him.

"Don't come near me, Yibo. Don't! " Zhan said taking a few steps back, away from Yibo.

"Don't you understand?
Are you stupid?
It was said clearly, Yibo. " Zhan said wiping his tears.

"Zhan, think on the positive side... Nothin---- "

"Shut up, Wang Yibo. " Zhan yelled.
"Let me tell it to you, then.
9-6=2...
To gain is to lose...
Sacrifice to save...
Lose to live...
Infinitude is eternity...
8 may look look like infinity...
But that infinity is the end... "
Zhan quoted those lines which were uttered by the smoke.

"Don't you understand this? " Zhan asked.

"Zhan.... " Yibo was cut off as Zhan spoke again.

"9-6=2
Do you know what it means... 6... Those are the total number of times that you have saved me until today...
9... I think those are the total number of death encounters that I have to face... And 2... I think... You can only save me for the next two times... "
Zhan said in a shaky voice.