Mini Flashback: That time I cut your eye out

Macy Helgrim liked to see the children individually. It wasn't often she would be in a room with more than one at a time. Yet still, for most of their childhood, she held nearly weekly appointments with each of them- except William. Macy Helgrim had very little interest in Will outside of the kitchen, and even then, she would only speak to him about proper culinary etiquette. That was the rule. 

Macy always enjoyed her time with the children. She enjoyed Angel's torn spirit, Lucifer's infernal rebellion, and Nya. 

Macy Helgrim has a special place in her hollow chest for Ms.Nya Bruce. 

If Nya had been born as Macys daughter, the dark queen might have let them have a happy and fulfilling childhood. Macy always wanted a daughter, so much so that it had nearly killed her to have given birth to a boy. 

Ms.Helgrim was not a healthy person. Her body couldn't withstand another birth, and even then, it seemed pointless. If she ended up with two sons she might very well have had to drown one of them.

When Nya Bruce was led into her life Macy had experienced the slightest spark of joy, yet the girl was not her heir by blood. Sometimes Macy liked to pretend that wasn't the case because this child was something far better than an heir. 

She was a girl. And not just a girl, but a strong and willful soul. An ancient soul like the one Macy might have had a long time ago. 

"What do you think of them?" Macy Helgrim asks one day after inviting Nya to their flower garden. 'Invite' is a strong word. Demand seems more fitting. 

Nya does not respond as she stares at the beautiful flowers in Macy's hands. The flowers... and the sharp cutters that gleam between Macy's thin fingers. 

"If I have to repeat myself," the queen says nonchalantly, "I will call Angel's parents and tell them he's no longer welcome to stay, but this time, I shall shove him on a plane myself. What would you think of that, little girl?"

Nya's throat bobs. The eleven-year-old glares upwards with cloudy blue eyes. "Th- 'lowrs air beat-ful." She stutters and slurs. She is not allowed to use sign language with Macy Helgrim. Macy likes the tone of her ruined voice. 

"They are beautiful," Macy recounts while she snips the stem of another rose. They walk around the garden for a bit, collecting flowers, when Macy Helgrim holds out her bouquet of red roses as if they were a bouquet of red rats. "Actually," Macy questions at first. "Actually, they are not so beautiful, are they? They have ugly thorns."

Ms.Helgrim holds her bouquet of roses out and nonchalantly drops them to the ground. She walks right past them until shes met another flower bush, then she starts the procedure over again. 

Snip snip snip-

"I heard what you did when young William Reed came home with that broken arm," Macy says. It's been two weeks since the brutal beating from Dexter and the return of young Angel Viceman. "I heard about what Lucifer did, and Will for that matter, when Dexter beat you three to bits."

Nya is silent and stoic as she follows Macy around. At one point Macy finds her hands are full, so she begins dumping flowers into Nya's arms and arranging them while Nya watches. 

"You can be so stupid sometimes," Macy snickers. 

"Mm?"

"Yes you," Macy snaps. Dark, dead eyes settle over Nya but the young girl does not flinch. "He was sure to have killed you," the queen continues, pulling a petal or two. "You know my rule about funerals. We don't have them. So next time don't poke the fucking bear or I'll just have your body thrown with the trash. Lucifer would throw an absolute tantrum at that."