Chapter 11: Midnight Memories N5 or "Can't Get Rid of Me Now"

When I first wrote this part, this song (attached to the chapter) was playing in my head the whole time. It's so perfect for the last scene. So, please do listen to this after you read the chapter, it will give you all the feels, I promise. 

***

Chapter 11: Midnight Memories N5 or "Can't Get Rid of Me Now" 

Before I know it, it's fall knocking on my window, whispering in my ear, giving me colorful sunglasses. I've always loved this season more than any other because I associate it with coziness and home, the smell of the tea and warm cookies your grandma would make for you on a cold rainy day.

During the days leading to September, not much has changed between Kai and I. We still hang out after work and steal secret glances, when bumping into each other at the office. We've gotten closer, except I still like him more than just a friend. I'm fully crushing on him, if not more.

I'm making my way out of the building on a Friday night after my show, laughing with Robert, when I see Kai making his way to us.

"He's been showing up at work more often these days," Rob says under his breath a second before Kai reaches us.

"Good evening Robert, Serena." He says, his eyes laughing at me secretly. He's messing up my name purposefully, waiting for a reaction out of me. Yeah, you are not getting one, Daron.

"Selena," I correct him, trying to compose my irritation. Remind me again, why I even told him that I hate people calling me that.

He smiles, all innocent as if he's an angel who only has to wear white and a halo to complete his look. But I know better, I know that a devil can wear white, but whatever he does, he will never be an angel.

"Right. So, how's work been so far?"

"And he's talkative now," Rob mumbles between his awkward coughing.

Kai's face turns serious, maybe a little scary, as he tilts his head to look at Rob more attentively.

"Did you say something?" He asks Rob.

"Just talking to myself, Mr. Daron."

"Should we be worried about your mental health, Robert?"

"No, sir. Will figure it out myself."

"Well, you do that." Kai turns his eyes to me again, "So, everything alright?"

"Yes, thank you." He smirks at me secretly for the last time, before making his way inside.

"Told you, Cold Heart." Rob rolls his eyes, "Why does he keep noticing you?"

"Why? Are you jealous?" I blurt out, trying to joke and not make him notice my panic attack.

"You bet your ass I am. Anyways, so are we still on for a bonding drink on Saturday?"

"Sure!" I grin, excited.

"Are you sure you'll be okay with my boyfriend being there as well?"

"Absolutely." Though him asking this question 13 times in 2 hours makes me doubt myself. "Unless you are going super 21+ in front of me."

"Oh my God, no, we are decent people."

"I hope so. Now, I'm off. See you tomorrow?" He nods.

"I can give you a ride, you know."

"I know you can, but it's fine. You are going the other direction and besides, I want to walk a bit and listen to some music."

"You are an addict."