Legacy

He got out of his shower and walked towards the bed, as expected, found a card and a tuxedo. He slowly picks up the card and puts his glasses on.

"Mr. Lucian,
We hope you find our invitation in good health and we also hope that your preparation for leaving the town went well and without inconveniences. As a major contributor to the theatrics in our small town we wanted to make sure that we are able to provide you a proper farewell.
We, The Uptown Theater, has prepared and organized a play that you wrote before you retired.
We hope to see you there as our team has worked really hard to prepare for a memorable experience."

He wore his tuxedo as he looked himself in the mirror. An old man in his late fifties, wrinkled face and bald head. He sure had his time of the life in this town and he was about to go for a one last ride.
He walked out of the lobby and a black car was waiting for him, the driver holding the passenger gate open. He sat inside and after a few moments the car started moving towards the venue.

"How long before we reach there?"- Lucian glanced at his watch and then out of the window.
"No more than 10 minutes, sir."- the driver replied.

As the car made its way through the streets, he knew he will miss the town. The only ice cream parlor that offered so many flavors that he couldn't even remember all of them, the small park which was a place not just for kids but for everyone in the town to socialize, the broadcasting station that broadcasted his favorite shows. There wasn't much to the town, but he had a close relationship with it and he wasn't ready to leave it behind.
The car stopped at the entrance of the Uptown Theater. It was a small place with the capacity for only thirty people but it was better in terms of architecture and facilities than half of the buildings and houses in the town.

"Good evening, sir. I hope you had no issues while reaching here. You're right on time."- a guy in his mid twenties welcomed Lucian as he stepped out of the car.
"Thank you."- Lucian replied. He had a heavy and shaky voice which was typical of someone his age.
"Please follow me, I'll take you from the side entrance, straight to your seat."

Lucian nodded and walked with the guy. As they entered the building, the nostalgic scent took him back to the days when he used to stay there all day long along with variety of performers. The wall paint was still the same, a little scratched at some places. He entered the theater, it was dark and the stage was lit with various spot lights and bulbs.
He couldn't make out the faces in the audience but they were probably the people that lived there. He sat in the front row, and the play commenced.
Although, he was old and forgot a lot of things, the play was completely familiar. Every dialogue, every scene, every emotion that he put in when writing it, it was right there at the back of his head. There was a sparkle in his eyes, he was living his past and the way it was executed, it was so beautiful that he cried when it finished. He wiped his tears from behind his glasses, making sure no one can see it while everyone who performed came on stage and held hands. The place echoed with a great applause, and a faint spotlight turned towards Lucian.

"What do you think, sir?"- the host picked up a handheld microphone and spoke.
"Well.. I.. uh think it was so good that I am surprised. I don't know what to say. This.. this might be the best thing that ever happened to me."- Lucian replied, trying to contain his happiness.
"There's more! Can you please turn on the lights?"- the lights turned on moments after he completed. "Look around, sir."

He looked at his back, at his left and was amazed to see all of the familiar faces.
"They- are my students."- Lucian tried to gather his thoughts.
"Yes. They're here from all around the world and they came here to see you."- the host replied

Lucian, still trying to take all of this, smiled at them. Everyone rushed forward, trying to reconnect with their colleagues and their teacher.
There were laughs and chatter everywhere around the room, it was a fest. People walking around, shaking hands, hugging each other.

As things settled, the host spoke up. "I guess, that's a wrap then. We tried our best to make this evening as memorable as possible for you. I, the team who performed and everyone in this place is grateful to you that you introduced us to theatrics. You lived here for only ten years, but you taught us whatever you could. Your students are now one of the top producers, actors, screenwriters and all of it happened just because you introduced us to this art. We are indebted to you, and wish you the best for the rest of your life you spend, anywhere."

Although, the evening was short, Lucian left with a long lasting memory and lots of good wishes for his life.