━━ chapter VIII.

..

[ the next morning ]

EMPEROR'S PALACE

..

" GLORY TO THE SUN OF EMPIRE ― " polite as ever , mildly spoken greeting broke the silence , tugging at claude's consciousness to come back .

bloodshot azure eyes rise , meeting the eyes of the woman who stood by the door , tea cart in front of her as per custom . a nod of acknowledgement and he invites her in , wordlessly . he had long stopped asking her why she brought tea with her , having given the same answer every time ― not that he complained . tea might be just the thing he needed now .

" my apologies on the disturbance , but i wanted you to sign this agreement we came to decide on about enrolling the commoner children with magic . " she carried the cart in , setting the tray on the table .

impassive , he walked towards the sofa and took a seat , glaring at her with the same empty eyes all the while she poured tea for both .

" i have talked with the nobles about educating the commoners and funding those in need at the university . at first some of them were reluctant , but duke alpheus took a liking to my proposition and convinced the other nobles all too easily . " she informed him , pushing a cup of tea towards his direction .

That is when she raises her gaze to find his eyes transfixed on her person ― in not a very pleased manner , at that .

surprised look flashed on the empress' face briefly , and she questioned " is there anything you wish to speak to me , your grace ? "

slouched form of the man straightened ― and she tried not to let her attention divert to the exposed skin through the peculiar , foreign robes he so often wore . He looked irritated , like she'd say one wrong word and he would snap .

" i hear there was a celebration in the ruby palace last night ― the empress being the one suggesting it . "

oh ― so that's what it was .

" yes , you heard right . " she replied , voice still indifferent . this seemed to tick the emperor further , and he questioned back .

" do you know why we don't celebrate the birthday of the princess ? " penelope didn't reply right away , but took a moment to ponder over her words . should she say it was to break the ice between her and the princess ? would he think she was trying to covet his daughter's favour ?

or should she tell him it was because she found the princess in a similar position as herself when she was a child , and didn't want the little girl to feel the same loneliness ?

" i am well aware of your grief , your highness . but my intention was not to mock the passing of the previous consort , but to make sure the princess mother's memory doesn't feel like loneliness and ignorance to her . " her words earn her a frown from the emperor , but he doesn't say anything , and instead listens .

" memories from past are painful to some , but sacrificing the princess' happiness for the sake of grief didn't seem right to me ― i apologise if my actions offended you . "

claude clenched his jaw , dismissing penelope with a wave of his hand . adding a command in the end ,

" you can lead the small council meeting on my behalf today , send in the paperwork that needs taking care of . I'm not going to join the meeting . you can leave now . "

she rose from her seat , bowing .

" blessings be upon the empire . " her courtesy was followed by a request , " and please make sure to finish the tea , your highness . "

claude didn't give her another glance , rubbing his temples with his eyes closed . it was when he heard the faint click of the door being closed , he looked down at the brew in the cup .

a cure for hangover .

claude sighed , picking the cup and washing down its contents all at once , calling in a voice that greatly concerned the knight standing outside the door .

" Felix ! get your arse here ! "

QUICK UPDATE !  because i have a lot of muse aaaand i can't stop writing !!!!  That aside ,  claude was supposed to be mad in this chapter ― because they were celebrating on the day his beloved died ― but ended up being guilty ??? tchtch what are ...

QUICK UPDATE ! because i have a lot of muse aaaand i can't stop writing !!!! That aside , claude was supposed to be mad in this chapter ― because they were celebrating on the day his beloved died ― but ended up being guilty ??? tchtch what are you doing , penelope ?