IX

"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art.... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival." C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves

---- 

IX.

Grace performed her duties as diligently as she possibly could in the weeks since the Beresfords had returned home, all the while under the constant scrutiny of the duchess' maid, Miss Naismith.

The duchess didn't trust Grace, which was something that she couldn't quite understand. She had only but look to her son to see that he had become exactly the sort of gentleman that she had wanted him to be. He was educated, refined, engaged, and entirely without desire to rekindle any sort of attachment that he and Grace had once shared.

Did the duchess could not have known about the letter that Adam had sent Grace, or else she would not have bothered with her spy.

Grace kept up her end of the bargain and took everything that she earned home to her family each week. It would still be a while before her mother would be mobile, and until then, Grace would be on her best behaviour.

She had succeeded in avoiding Adam until that very day when she and Ruby had been summoned to the library. Revealing the loss of her father and stealing a glance up at Adam in that moment proved to her that he hadn't known, and for a moment she could see his genuine sadness for her.

Even if their childhood dreams and promises were lost, her friend was still inside of him. Part of her, a large part, longed to know him again.

"There has to be more that you are not telling me," insisted Ruby that night.

They both were sitting up in their beds. Grace was brushing through her hair, ready to fix it into a braid to sleep in. "I grew up in this village," replied Grace dismissively. "As did many people. We went to the church school for a time as children. Yes, we knew each other, but it has been many years since then."

Ruby huffed impatiently. "I just find it hard to believe that someone like you could be known to two lords like that," Ruby remarked. "It would be like someone likeme being known to two lords."

Grace knew that Ruby had not meant any offense in her statement, but she wholly understood what she meant. It was not usual that someone of her rank could boast a connection like the one she had. Not that she would ever boast.

"Things are different when you are children," Grace offered. "Children don't see rank or status, titles or fortune. Their blindness to circumstance is what makes childhood innocence, childhood friendship, so beautiful."

Ruby sighed, offering Grace a small, accepting smile. "I suppose you are right," she allowed. "I only wish some of my childhood friends had grown up to have thousands of pounds and an estate this size."

"Oh, hush," shushed Grace. She quickly plaited her hair and threw it over her shoulder, before blowing out the candle between them.

***

Near the end of September, Grace had managed another several weeks without seeing Adam. It was getting easier being within Ashwood House, and Miss Naismith had eased her constant watch. Grace's routine was a boring one, and the lady's maid could see day after day that Grace was not diverting from it.

Her mother's healing was coming along, and the doctor was due to visit in October to check on her.

On the morning of the twenty-ninth of September, as the servants were sitting down to breakfast, the three Beresfords entered the kitchen bearing gifts. Adam, Jack and Susanna made their way cheerfully over to Mrs Hayes, before presenting her with the gifts before the entire household.