8.

A few days passed. 
Physically, Shivaay was unharmed and Anika was recovering well. Three days after the accident, Anika was discharged from the hospital but still had difficulty walking stably. Shivaay drove them home from the hospital. Om was waiting for them at the entrance.

After reaching home, Anika attempted to walk inside but stumbled as soon she got out of the car. Luckily, Om was standing next to the car and caught her before she fell.

Om: Bhabhi aap theek hain?

Anika’s hand flew to her stomach before she realised her womb was empty now. Tears pricked her eyes as reality caught up with her. However, she did not let them fall.
Shivaay came out of the car and helped Anika back to her feet. He noticed her hand position and it broke his heart, but he did not let it show, for her sake. He silently guided her inside. His phone rang, he was getting a call from Misra. Though he did not want to leave his wife just yet as she was his priority right now, Anika gave her consent through her eyes.

Shivaay: I’ll be right back.

Anika gave him a small nod. Others started assembling in the hallway but Anika was not a state to talk to anyone, not even the people who were more than family to her. She slowly got up and addressed them

Anika: Main…apne kamre mein jaana chahti hoon.

No said anything but did not object either. Anika went to her room, limping a little.

Pinky noticed. She noticed it in Anika’s eyes and, somewhere in heart, she felt a pang of pain. True, she didn’t like Anika. True, she didn’t believe the baby was Shivaay’s. But, true, she herself is a mother and biggest truth; it was still an innocent baby. No pain is greater than losing your child.

In her room, Anika went and opened her cupboard. In the midst of her things, was a pair of baby shoes; given to her by Shivaay for their unborn baby. She reminisced the joy in his eyes when he would kneel and talk to their unborn baby in her stomach or caress it. Before she realised, tears were rolling down her cheeks.

Pinky: Anika.

Pinky stood behind Anika and kept her hand on latter’s shoulder. As Anika turned towards her, Pinky’s expression soften and turned to one of sympathy looking at her tear-stricken face. Pinky brought her hand to Anika’s face and caressed it. That was it. Anika reached her breaking point. She threw herself in Pinky’s arms and cries hysterically.

Anika: *crying* Mera baccha… Mera baccha kyoon, Pinky aunty? Uski kya galti thi? Kyoon upar-wale ko mujhse itni michmichi machti hain? Kyoon woh mere apno ko chheen lete hain. Agar… agar meri galti hain toh saza mujhe milne chahiye likin mere bacche ko kyoon chheen liya? Kyoon Pinky aunty, kyoon…

Pinky didn’t have the answer to her questions. All she could do was take Anika in her embrace as she cried her heart out. At that moment, any personal grudges that she held against Anika were the last thing that came to the former’s mind. She just let the woman cry in her embrace.

After a while, Pinky went to Tia’s room and knocked on the door.

Tia: Pinky mom, please come in.

Pinky: Tia tu theek hain na?

Tia: Yes, Pinky mom, I’m perfectly fine.

Pinky: Chalo, it’s goods to knows that.

Tia: Kya hua Pinky mom? Aap kuch pareshaan lag rahi hai. Koi problem hain toh aap share kar sakti hain. Isse aapke aas-paas ki negative energies bhi kam ho jaayengi. 

Pinky sits next to Tia.

Pinky: Tia, bhale hi mujhe Anika pasand nahi likin aaj jaise woh ro rahi thi… main khud ek maa hoon. Ek maa ke liye uske bacche ko khone se bada na koi darr hota hain aur na hi dard. Main nahi chahti ki tu… Oh my Mata, meri matt mari gayi hain jo main aisa anaab-shanaab baatein kar rahi hoon. Main bas ensures kar rahi hoon ki tu aur babies bilkul healthys raho.

Tia: Don’t worry Pinky mom. Main apna…hum dono ka dhyaan rakkhoongi.

Pinky smiles at her then leaves from there. After Pinky left, Tia protectively wrapped her arms around her stomach, thinking about all times she had been so reckless and risking her unborn child’s life.

Tia: *with teary eyes* I’m sorry baby. Humari is nafrat mein maine tumhare baare mein socha hi nahi. Mujhe kisi aur ko tumhara baap bolna pad raha hain. But ab se, I’ll take care of you and protect you, I promise.