t e n

"Abby?" The question in her tone quickly morphed to delight,"Abby! You're here!"

I didn't hesitate before tumbling into mom's arms, taking a shuddering breath in to keep the tears in bay,"Hey mom."

She hugged me back and gave a gentle pat on my shoulder,"We missed you, baby."

After all that happened, I didn't know what to do. I ran, ran and ran, letting my feet take me to any place which wasn't near him.

He didn't mean it. He just couldn't control himself. It's all his head, it's not his doing, he was out of control, he loves me he loves me he loves me so much, I kept telling myself, but the words tasted like sawdust in my mouth.

After hours which blurred and merged together into a hazy dream-like state of wandering around hopeless, I realised I was standing in the porch of the house which once used to be my home.

Nothing really seemed different. My mom's smile was just as bright as it was and her arms still contained warmth which no other can provide.

And God, I've never felt so fragile before. I wanted to fall in her arms and cry forever.

He hit me, mom, I wanted to sob, I loved him with all I can and he hit me he hit me he hit me.

But I simply bit my lip and nodded vigorously, "Me too, mom. Me too."

She immediately started waltzing around the place, tidying up things which already looked fine,"Gosh you could've told me you're coming. It's a mess here. I would've cleaned up a little."

If it was any other day, I would've rolled my eyes and said,"Mom, I think you're forgetting the fact that I'm your daughter. I used to live here."

But just trying not to cry drained all my energy. I nodded feebly.

Mom paused her cleaning spree as if waiting for my reply. That was the way it has always been between us; we didn't do all those heart to heart conversations. It was always a fiery back and forth banter equipped with sharp laughs and snark. When nothing came from my side, she glanced back, hands on her hip and eyes singing worry,"Are you okay, Abby?" her frown deepened,"And why are you dressed like a homeless person?"

My hand automatically went up to my neck, almost making me cry out in pain. The bruises on my neck and cheek were very much visible, and I had no other option than to wear a oversized black hoodie which hung around my frame loosely, with the hood up. Thankfully, the hood was so huge that I looked like fucking grim reaper, making it impossible for anyone to even look at my face properly.

I looked down and let my hair curtain my face further, wishing the ground would swallow me as a whole. I crossed my fingers and closed my eyes for a second, sending a quick prayer to the big guy for some sort of distraction.

I sighed in relief when my mom's attention turned towards Elena's loud shouts.

"Abby?" The sound of Elena bounding down the stairs with such speed made me wince. That girl had such heavy steps that she might as well been bigfoot,"Mom, is that loser finally here?!"

I laughed, but it came out choked. I averted my gaze from mom's concerned eyes and croaked out,"How much you love me, my asshole of a sister."

I couldn't even speak one full sentence without slurring in the end. I blinked and tried to snap myself out of whatever trance I was in.

My mom hit the back of my head and hissed,"Language!" just as Elena hurtled towards me with such force that I stumbled back.

Realising that she showed too much affection, she stepped back, her cheeks bright,"Whatever. I didn't miss you that much anyway. Kinda felt relieved that you weren't here to torture me."