Ch 15: Simply Satisfied

Matthias' POV

I had Saturday off of both patrols and training and I was absolutely grateful. I had been gnawing at the bit to get back to Elise.

It felt like half a lifetime since I had left my vulnerable best friend at the bastard's home last Monday, but my anger was still burning strong.

I borrowed my oldest brother's truck and packed everything I could think of to keep Elise's mind off her new circumstances for a few hours. Isaac had been very specific about how I was to use his crappy old baby, but once I was out of sight I would do whatever I pleased.

I did not tell him that, though.

I jumped in the truck and began to drive over to the bastard's house.

Nick had told Serge I was coming this time. It annoyed me that I had his permission. He certainly had not stopped to ask permission when he had stolen Elise from us. Truthfully, I would have felt more satisfied if I were barging into his territory again.

But no, this was not the time for that. I needed to keep a cool head. I was going to do my best to ensure that she would have a normal day with me.

On normal days I was not filled with rage and did not get into violent confrontations with that bastard. Though it felt far away now, I once had a little more than a vague awareness of him and maybe a small amount of respect.

That vague respect had melted in my fury.

Instead, I turned my mind to her. I could not think about the future I once hoped we might have if we could finally push back the eastern wolves because that only made me as furious as thinking about the bastard.

The present did not calm my ire either, because she was surely suffering right now as I drove.

And the past reminded me of what she had lost and I felt like smashing his face in all the more.

I gritted my teeth and focused on keeping the truck on the dirt road that connected our territories.

* * * * * * * * *

A little more than a half hour later I pulled the truck into Serge's driveway. I jumped out and strode to the door and banged on it with only slightly more force than was necessary.

A minute passed and the door opened to reveal Serge. I liked dealing with Karen better, but I did not mind the opportunity to remind him that I was keeping an eye on him.

His face was completely indifferent, but I was certain I got under his skin even if I could not see the evidence of it.

"She's in her room."

I nodded. "I'll just go get her then," I said.

"No, I will."

"I've been in her room at home a thousand times, I can get her," I pointed out. This house was not that big and I could probably find her by faint scent alone if I tried. "I'm sure you have plenty of pack matters that require your attention."

"Wait in the living room," he said and he turned around without waiting for my response.

I considered ignoring him, but I decided to let it be this time. Aggravating him gave me pleasure, but it might also cause trouble. Elise's father would not tolerate her being kept from her friends and people I was certain, but if the bastard made trouble it would only make life more difficult for everyone.

I sauntered over to one of the couches and flopped down on it.

Elise came out, her pretty face a mask of weary nervousness. She smiled when she saw me, but it did not completely banish the look of concern from her eyes.