28 ♠ MIRAGE

Ford

LAYING NEXT TO A SLEEPING Genevieve, I still can't sleep.

My phone claims it to be almost five in the morning, and I haven't managed a wink of sleep. Genevieve, on the other hand, fell asleep not long after we slipped under the comforter. She woke up quite quickly afterwards, shivering. She slipped a random shirt over her head and tugged her panties on. As she did so, I yanked on my boxers, and shockingly, we resumed the same position.

Since, Genevieve has turned on her side and faced away, though her body is still pressed against my side. Seizing the moment, I emulated her, wrapping my arm tentatively around her waist. Her sleepy response was to shift back against me, her ass grinding against my cock and stirring it to life. I bit back a groan but settled into the position.

And I haven't fucking moved since.

Except to check the time.

I originally suspected that this would be a great chance to sleep through the night, but it isn't the case. My body simply won't relax enough to stumble into slumber, despite being with Genevieve. But I'm not about to disturb Genevieve with my own selfish insomnia.

I believe in the end I manage barely an hours' worth of sleep. In that time, I turn away from Genevieve, who lays on her back. As I change positions to face her, I distinctly hear the hallmark sounds that her parents are traversing the house and I realize they're getting ready for their breakfast outing. Sunlight is filtering through the cracks in Genevieve's curtains, and yet she sleeps on.

My body remains fatigued but I'm not tired enough to fall back asleep. I remain awake until I distinguish the front door shutting and a car engine rumbling as it recedes. Half an hour must pass before I'm carefully clambering out of bed, determined not to wake Genevieve.

She needs a new dose of Bullet, considering she only had one yesterday, and I'm only managing it through delivering her daily hot chocolates. The barristers have since become accustomed to the order of only pink marshmallows, though that doesn't mean the customers waiting that surround me don't offer curious glances.

After getting dressed, I check my phone again. I have no new messages, which must be a good sign that the payment has been authorised by Hawk already and there's been no issues. Withdrawing my car keys from my pocket, I glance back at Genevieve. She's snoring quietly.

I rotate away before leaving the house, ensuring to keep the front door unlocked so I can get back in later. It doesn't take long to drive back to the house and when I get there, I'm surprised to find Jax and Clark in the lounge hanging out, though both of them are donning purple crescents under their eyes, which must mirror mine.

"Been out all night?" Jax asks.

"Yep, and I'm going back out in ten."

Neither of them say anything else to me and I ascend the stairs. I grab clean clothing to take a quick shower and change, and then I'm snatching another baggie of Bullet and the other iPhone from Jean Sommers before vacating the house.

The roads are quiet for a Sunday morning on the way to the coffee shop. Pulling up along the sidewalk, I glimpse at my phone again. Given there's no new message from Genevieve, I figure she isn't awake yet.

Inside, there's a female barrister standing idly by the cash register, jaded. She perks up at the sight of me, a subtle blush marring her cheeks. Ignoring her reaction, I strut up to her and pretend to peruse the menu above her head quickly just for something to do, despite already knowing the order.

I plaster on a faux smile when I return her questioning gaze. "Hot chocolate with pink marshmallows only. Please." My eyes dip to the showcased muffins and my stomach rumbles as if on cue. "And two chocolate muffins," I add hastily. "To go."