⊰❉⊱ 4 ⊰❉⊱

Will spun in his chair behind me. I did my best to scan every line of the finance reports before me and add critical links to–

"Just one."

"No." I answered without moving my eyes from the paper.

"Half of one."

"Still a no."

"You show up. No drinking–"

"Do you need no in another language?" I asked flatly, highlighting another line in yellow.

He paused his spinning. "Do you know more than school girl French?" He mocked.

I smiled darkly at the page. "None at all."

"Fletcher."

"William." I answered, looking to my computer screen for further background on known runners in the East end fast food chains. He began his speech to try and convince me to follow him to another dive full of drunks but a set of heavy footsteps caught my attention beyond the glass wall of our office.

They were heading in our direction quickly and didn't leave room for negotiation. 

"Chief, what can we–"

"Save it, Harrison." The Chief Inspector dismissed briskly. He stepped up to my desk and I suppressed a sigh and bridged my hands. His brown eyes and caramel skin were a mask of exasperation. Nothing new there.

"What the hell is a lawyer doing in my office before I've had a chance at my lunch?" He demanded as I raised my eyebrows in false shock.

"Sir, this is likely some push back from a firm linked to–"

"Make this disappear, Fletcher. You know I don't like suits throwing the book around in my station." He uttered, adjusting his navy tie around his pressed white shirt that never failed to cling to a broad physique. The recruits in the station were utterly terrified when he as much as sneezed in a room. "She asked for you by name. Let's not let it get more detailed." He finished with a hard look.

She. A fantastic coincidence or exactly the mortal I did not need to see again. It was highly unlikely that she had tracked down my station in less than a night and pursued this so boldly. But then again... lawyers.

I stood from my chair and nodded. "I will handle this."

He tapped a finger on my desk before flicking his eyes back over to Will. "Progress on the East?"

"We have interviewed several leads, sir. The paper trail is harder to follow as they deal in discreet cash drops inside–"

"Drug dealers moving money conspicuously." He dripped sarcastically. "Hardly detective work. Pick up your leads. The money won't do the talking here." With that he turned and left with the same aggressive walk.

Will's grey eyes snapped to mine the moment he was out of the threshold.

"What did you do?"

"Not now." I sighed, dragging my tailored jacket off my chair and putting my arms through. "I will explain later." I supplied before he could argue. I clipped my badge to the inside of my jacket and followed the same way the Chief had left.

The station was alive with the buzz of another working day. Mortals were usually riding on whatever sugar–or otherwise high they could find at this time of day. I had no honest preference. I didn't need to shroud myself in shadow or a coffin to then stalk the nights like a cheap horror production. The stories had it so wrong about blood drinkers...