Chapter Seventeen | Pale-maille

VIVIENNE WATCHED FROM behind the curtain as the first carriage pulled up at the manor. Her stomach fluttered at the thought that there would be lords and ladies filling up Chalcott manor very enough. Although she was a bit nervous, she was excited to experience a taste of what London might offer her in a fortnight's time.

"Lady Vivienne," she spun around to see Chrissy standing in the doorway of the parlour.

"Yes?"

"Lady Torrington has summoned you to her chambers."

Vivienne nodded before smiling at Chrissy, "Thank you for letting me know."

The maid didn't smile back at her and Vivienne sighed as she watched her go. Her relationship with Chrissy was not progressing and she had almost lost all hope. It was clear that Chrissy despised being her lady's maid however, nobody could go against Lady Torrington's orders. Thus, Vivienne had to endure hateful stares, dresses in which she couldn't breathe, and baths colder than they should have been. She supposed she could complain to the duke, but she hadn't seen much of him since his friends had arrive.

Indeed, they had spent the last few days either in James' study or riding into the village. Vivienne hadn't been able to resume her lessons with the duke, instead he had pawned her off to one of the stable masters. Although she didn't admit it, learning that the duke no longer had time for her hurt a bit, but Lady Torrington kept her busy.

Together the two of them wrote the guest lists, and Lady Torrington taught her quite a bit about the lords and ladies that would be visiting for the next couple of days. Vivienne learned that the guest list was only the beginning of a long process for a house party. The next step had been assigning rooms to the different guests based on their ranking in society or how much Lady Torrington favoured them.

Vivienne knocked on Lady Torrington's door and there was a gruff, "come in."

She stepped into the room surprised to see that dowager countess was also watching the various coaches come into the manor.

"You called for me?"

Lady Torrington's grey eyes scanned her from head to toe and a sense of satisfaction lit them as she took in the peach day dress Vivienne had selected. Just as quickly, her face turned into a scowl, "I wanted to remind you to keep the wretched feline away from the guests. If I see her walking around the halls, I won't hesitate to toss her out the back."

Vivienne shivered at the image. She knew that Lady Torrington would not go back on her promise. "Ginger is secure in my room. Nobody will know she even lives here."

Lady Torrington hmphed before strolling pass Vivienne. When she didn't follow her, the dowager countess turned back to her, "What are you waiting for, it's time for us to great our first guest."

Vivienne hurried after her as they gathered in the main hall. The servants stood behind them, ready to meet the guest's needs as required. Lady Torrington looked quite relaxed—the opposite of what Vivienne was feeling.

"Should the duke be here as well?" Vivienne whispered to Lady Torrington.

The dowager countess hmphed, "I told my great-nephew as much. However, he seems to believe that society's rules are sometimes above him."

Just as Lady Torrington finished her speech, there was a brief mutter among the servants as a couple of them moved away to let the duke through. He was wearing a fine brown coat with white trousers, and his brown hair had been combed back. He moved through the crowd to stand beside Lady Torrington.

"I didn't think you would make it."

James gave his aunt a serious look, "I wouldn't miss this for the world," he answered dryly.