Day Six

Have you ever opened your eyes and heard the birds chirping and felt the sun warm on your skin? Well, on this day, I didn't technically because I couldn't hear anything beyond my reinforced windows and the sun rose on the other side of the buildin...

Have you ever opened your eyes and heard the birds chirping and felt the sun warm on your skin? Well, on this day, I didn't technically because I couldn't hear anything beyond my reinforced windows and the sun rose on the other side of the building, but metaphorically speaking I did. I woke up and felt different. It was as though my breakdown the night before took all my rage and crushing depression and threw it out of me.

                Don't worry. I know it is still there deep inside me and that it's just being suppressed by a special concoction of medication. But I'd been living with the weight of my depression for years and years; carrying it with me every single day. On this day, I woke up and it suddenly wasn't so heavy anymore. I felt... normal.

                I was a lot more sociable at this point. I was willing to speak to other patients more rather than focus on just coloring and sticking by Rose's side. One such patient was a woman name Rebecca. She was born male, but was just beginning to transition from male to female. I talked to her a lot about a family member I know who was similar to her and her situation. She seemed thankful to have someone to talk to about how to change her name legally and other information.

                Rebecca was a slow speaker; obvious depression leaking from her. Other than that, I never learned why else she was here. On this day, she would be released to the real world. They dressed her in male clothing and she left looking quite somber. I still think about her today and hope that she becomes the person she wants to be.

                Nothing much happened today besides groups, so I thought I'd discuss these. The group therapies, or groups as we called them, varied. Some were meditation groups where we listened to a guided mediation and focused on breathing. Others were actual exercises, whether stretching or some sort of tai chi motion exercises. There were my favorite groups; coloring of course. One group was aroma therapy, too.

                Besides those, the harder ones were the ones where we talked about ourselves. The therapist would ask us a question and we would each answer. Even I got too emotional during these, especially if I had to talk about my childhood. But sometimes it would ease into a road of laughter.

                Another group was more like a lecture about coping and reaching for opportunities. The therapist talked about Cinderella and getting a ticket to the ball. I started calling discharge to go home the "ticket to the ball" and it was a thing for a little while.

Other than these, there were possibly other groups that I'm forgetting, but we would have them several times a day. They helped pass time because time moves extremely slowly in the Psych Ward. Anyway, groups and coloring with a new feeling of normal was the extent of what happened on Day Six.