Chapter Six; First Attempt

Nyx must have fallen asleep because she was startled by the loud noise of the door opening beside her.

"Subject 5538 stand." A big burly dude stood in front of her curled position, her eyes staring at him defiantly from under her lashes,

"And if I don't?" Nyx asked darkly, preparing herself mentally for her slight chance of freedom.

She didn't wait for his response, instead, she lunged for his legs, forgetting the sheet that protected her body against the cold air as she sank her teeth into the soft flesh of his thigh.

She didn't stop even if she felt the coppery taste of iron invade her mouth, her nails sinking into his soft belly as she ravaged anything and everything, she could get a hold of.

The guy screamed in pain, not expecting her to act like a fucking savage. He had underestimated her. His mistake.

Nyx let him go, feeling his hand slap her face harshly which broke her bottom lip, but she was far too satisfied to feel it.

She rushed out into the hallway, closing the door behind her as she tried to block it enough to make it harder for him to follow her.

But it seemed it needed a key to lock- and to unlock.

Nyx desperately grabbed at the bars of Pietro's and Wanda's door, their wide eyes looking up at her from their place in their cots.

"I can't find the key." She felt devastated, not knowing what to do next as her escaping window grew slimmer.

"Go! We choose this path." Pietro zoomed behind the bars with surprising speed, his hand gently gripping hers as he softly pried her fingers off.

Nyx didn't question his sudden speed, nor his sentence of having chosen this path, but she did listen when he said to go.

She booked it down the hall, her eyes catching sight of the familiar man strapped to a chair with a heart-broken look on his face.

Nyx didn't know why she did it- she just did. Instead of running away, she rushed to him. Seeing his victimized face, as lights started blaring through the compound, people yelling in a different language.

"You better not kill me." Nyx threatened knowing he must be familiar with this place enough for her to use his help in escaping.

"I-" He tried to speak as her hands were suddenly taking off his straps, sweat building over her skin as she stood shaking in just her underwear.

"I need your help in getting out of here. Do you know the way to the exit?" Nyx asked him as she loosened the strap holding his neck back, he nodded shakily, seeming to go through inner turmoil.

"Good. Let's go." Nyx nodded as she looked around the room and grabbed a long metal, it would have to do as a weapon for now.

She didn't know his name and he didn't know her name but together they rushed out, hopeful eyes looking around for their escape path as they struggled to keep themselves hidden as scientists (who she had thought were doctors to help her) rushed around in panic.

Nyx was forced to her knees as a sudden noise filled the speakers in the walls, the man seemed to wince briefly as the low-frequency noise pierced his ears before it slowly turned higher and higher, her face screwing together as she brought her hands to cover her ears in vain, her mouth open in a silent scream of pain.

The male tried to help her stand, but she was unresponsive, her body growing weak as the noise felt like it was making her ears bleed- which much to the man's surprise it was. He didn't hear it anymore, but she still looked like she did.

The noise stopped momentarily, her head almost lolling to the side as she found her arm thrown over the man's shoulder as he tried to drag her out of the compound,

"Sehnsucht," A voice spoke through the speakers and Nyx felt the man tense in panic, his steps growing erratic,

"Oh, no, no, no, no-" He was whimpering, his brows pulled together creating lines across his forehead and Nyx tried to help him, but her body was unusually weak,

"Verrostet,"

Nyx tried to tell him to let her go, to get out whilst he still could. But he seemed to be inside his head, instead, his grip on her grew stronger as the voice rose in volume and authority,

"Ofen, Tagesanbruch, siebzehn, gutartig, neun, Heimkehr, eins und Güterwagen."

As the last word was spoken, the man suddenly halted. His sudden movement making her dizzy as she felt him square up and stand taller.

"Bereit zu entsprechen." He spoke to no one, and in another language.

Longing, rusted, furnace, daybreak, seventeen, benign, nine, homecoming, one, and freightcar.

Ready to comply.

Nyx tried to move her arm away as the same voice filled the speakers once more,

"Bring das Mädchen zurück." Bring back the girl.

The man's arms were suddenly under her knees and around her arms, trapping her body into his as he swiftly turned around and walked from where they came from.

Nyx was too tired to protest, her head dropping to his chest as she shivered from the warm feeling of a liquid dripping down her neck from her ears.

It was probably her blood anyway.