Chapter 15

Than raised his hand, and I heard a click behind me. I turned around to see the door was locked. I stood paralyzed in fear trying to figure out the situation. I looked around me for any sign of an exit. The room was dark and small. The only door I could see was the one behind me. I made a run for the door trying to unlock it, but it was if it was melted in place.

All of a sudden, I could no longer touch the door. An invisible wall had surrounded me. I was stuck. Than walked slowly, deliberately around me in circles, like a predator surveying its prey. I closed my eyes calling for Xan in my mind, pleading for his help.

" Nu uh uh. There will be none of that." Than smirked. "I blocked your 'signal'. No knights in shining armor are going to be dashing in tonight."

"What do you want?!" I screamed at him.

"What do you think I want? What do you think I've always wanted?" He walked around slowly, deliberately again. "Good job leading me right to you, by the way. As soon as you started hanging out with lover boy, I could get a read on you again, and figure out where you were. And with your boyfriend turning on the panic button, my soldiers should be here any minute to take us back."

I remembered Xan saying that it could bring down our enemies. I don't know what we were thinking, risking that, risking bringing more of a threat to my family.

"Oh, we won't touch the humans." Than rolled his eyes. "That is, as long as you cooperate. If you cooperate I may not even harm your little boy toy, though it is tempting."

I looked at him curiously, "How did you..."

"know?" he finished. "Lover boy didn't tell you I could read your mind too? Then again, I can read everyone's. It's not that difficult. It does sound just like him though, leaving out pertinent details. I bet you he didn't tell you, we used to be an item either?"

My eyes widened with shock. There's no way... that's impossible!

"Not so much. You loved me, you really did," His hand penetrated the force field and caressed my cheek. Everything went black.

We were sitting by the pool holding hands. The love I felt for him made my heart flutter as he caressed my cheek and stared into my eyes. Both of us are smiling, and giddy like school children.

"So you know I've been thinking. We've been together for a while now; we should really make things more permanent. I know I have to go through the proper channels and customs. But I really want to be with you Zathar."

"I want to be with you too Than."

Suddenly I could hear Xan's voice in my ear.

Zatti, this isn't a good idea. I don't trust this guy.

Shut up Xan! I love him.

Then why are you talking to me like this, and not him? If he was really the one you were meant to be with, wouldn't he be the one hearing you're every thought.

I get it, you're jealous. Seriously Xan, butt out! This is none of your business.

Than sat there quietly smiling at me. "Tell Xan I say hi." He said plainly.

"But... But how did you know?" I stammered. He didn't say a word, and just winked at me.

It was unheard of for someone to have two true loves; two people that could hear the same person's thoughts. But love made me blind and I readily accepted his explanation as the ultimate sign we were meant to be together.