ᴇɪɢʜᴛ; sᴀɴᴄᴛᴜᴀʀʏ

sanctuary 

(noun

a place of refuge and protection 

EVERETT LOVES the hospital.

When she was younger, the church had been her refuge from the blood-thirsty fears of the outside world. She had never found it as imposing as her brothers had, who had flinched every time the music from the organ shook the pillars surrounding them. It had almost felt like home. Her eyes had always danced across the frescoes reflecting the relationship between the heavenly world and the mortal world, and for a while she had believed that an angel would come down from the skies and touch her, proclaim her to be some sort of holy one that they would all have to answer to, and her skin would glow golden and her eyes would fill with light. She would sit in the middle pews between her mother and Casey, fingers playing with the cotton of her lemon Sunday dress, watching the light dance through the painted glass and light up the Father in a kaleidoscope of colours; magenta and olive and crimson dancing over his white vestments. She'd always imagine him being touched by God. Whenever she saw a rainbow in the sky, she'd think of Father Martin and she'd send a prayer up for his well-wishes. Sometimes, during those summer days in the church, singing a hymn of dark voices and crashing crescendos, Everett would close her eyes and allow the stifling heat to wash over her, she'd smell the decay of lilies in the air and imagine herself bringing them back to life.

In the church, she never felt like God, but she could imagine him surrounding her, guiding her, lifting her voice out of her chest as she joined the church choir and sang for him. He was her heavenly music, her guiding light, and she had followed him through the waters into a world she could never have imagined otherwise.

In the hospital, she feels like God.

"Excuse me," a raspy voice chimes in from behind Everett. She spins around, fixing her blue scrubs to hide the fact that she got almost no sleep the night before. Having a movie marathon to make Jackson feel better after an awful phone call with his mother is not the right move the night before a very long shift. "Do you know where I can find the Chief of Surgery?"

Everett takes in the tall man standing before her. He's old and withering where he stands, greyed hair starting to bald from the top and more lines around his eyes than there probably should be. His tan jacket looks older than him, if that's even possible. Why is this guy looking for Shepherd?

She tries not to yawn. "Uh, Dr Shepherd should be in his office but I have no idea. A nurse can tell you the way, I'm really busy, sorry." Everett rushes off before he can stop her again, finding Karev already fixing the x-ray scans of the little girl they're both working on today with their respective Attendings.