ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ sɪx; ɴᴇᴛᴛʟᴇ

nettle 

(verb)

to arouse to sharp but transitory annoyance or anger 

TODAY IS the day. That's all Everett should be thinking as she shows Martinez how to stitch up the torn pectoralis tendon in O.R.2, but instead, she can't help but let her mind wander to the pretty brunette she found sleeping on her couch this morning, waking up looking as refreshed as a daisy during the spring. She should be worrying about the judge hopefully coming to a decision about who is at fault for the plane crash. Instead, her mind is racing with the way Wilson and Alex had laughed about Hunt's groping incident that morning while the intern was on the hunt for breakfast, wearing nothing but a too-big shirt and a pair of panties.

There's an awful taste in Everett's mouth.

She's been trying not to think about it all day, but it's been hard watching Wilson move around the E.R, pretty brown hair bouncing around her shoulders, eyes glittering whenever she laughs. Alex has been letting her stay with them since their friendship blossomed and she'd gotten sick of her own housemates, but it's hard to keep her mouth shut when she can hear them laughing in the middle of the night over shitty beer and old Seinfeld episodes. It gets even worse when Hunt comes over and tries to sneak into Cristina's room, as if it isn't obvious what's going on.

Everett tugs a little too tightly on the stitch she's in the middle of.

They all freeze, waiting for something to fall apart, for some vitals monitor to start beeping, for his tendon to just completely give way. Nothing happens and they all let out shuddering breaths before getting back into surgery.

The phone sitting in the corner of the room starts to ring.

Everett looks up from the inside of her patient, meeting Martinez's eyes over their light blue surgical masks. Martinez stares back at her, until she realises that her Attending is silently ordering her to answer her ringing phone. One of the surgical nurses rolls off her surgical gloves, allowing the intern to take the phone from the desk and hold it to her ear, answering on behalf of the orthopedic fellow currently halfway through stitching up a pectoralis tear.

"Uh, Dr Ramos?" Martinez is staring at her. She'd finished the call and now it's sitting in her hand. She's holding it like it's about to bite her, or Everett is. Either way, the fear is obvious in her eyes and none of the medical professionals in the room can really understand why. "Um. That was your lawyer, he said he needs you at the courthouse."

Everett stops stitching. "Did you tell him I was in surgery?"

"Yes."

"Okay. I'm finishing this and then you're going to close him up, Martinez, okay?" The intern nods, slightly more dazed than before. One of the surgical nurses, Bokhee, snorts behind her mask and pulls out new surgical gloves for her to slip on, amusement dancing in her wrinkled eyes.