Chapter Thirteen | Dorks

Ember wasn't sure why every morning she didn't bring a jacket, she ended up needing one. November somehow appeared out of nowhere, it had already been two weeks into the month and had yet to feel like it.

Ember was thankful to walk into the warm building to her right, the tile floor guiding her down the hall. She pushed past the people who were also heading to their classes and into the correct room. The room was nothing special. It looked like all the others, very plain. Similar to an office meeting room but with fewer windows.

Long tables with basic office chairs, lining the room.

Ember took her seat and settled in as the teacher was preparing to start the lesson.

Today was exciting because Holland had said her sister, Venus, was inviting Ember, Flynn, and Karter over for games and dinner. From the time she went shopping with them, Ember had really wanted to spend a bit more time with Venus.

Ember liked the closeness Venus and Holland shared. Holland had mentioned that her sister's apartment looked like an unfinished art gallery since her sister loved to paint but also started more paintings than she finished.

Throughout the class, Ember zoned in and out. She knew she would since she stayed up most of the night watching reruns of Phineas and Ferb with Holland after getting back from Rebecca's show.

"Remember your visual, along with the essay, will be due in three weeks. Don't wait till the last day," the professor groaned.

Ember chuckled to herself as she left the class. She'd likely be the first person to hand in the assignment since she hated having things hang over her head. The less anxiety in her life the better.

Since the note, it made things a lot more difficult for her not to feel on edge. Greg was one of the people that didn't have patience, she figured he would have done something by now.

Maybe she was just overthinking it or something.

All she knew was that five years ago he was nothing more than a sick freak and she doubted anything had changed.

~ Six years ago, April Seventh, Sunday ~

"Caterina, Ember, let's go! We're going to be late once again," Ryan shouted.

Ember laughed and threw on her soft green jacket. Was it appropriate for church, not really, but then again no one had to dress up to the nines there to begin with.

"Just a sec, I'll meet you guys outside," Caterina muttered.

Ember rolled her eyes at Caterina's comment.

Lately, she had been losing everything, Ryan and Ember would joke she'd lose her head if it wasn't attached to her.

Ember walked out to the living room to wait for her to finish up getting ready.

"She's looking for her earrings," Ember said dramatically.

"Of course, we couldn't leave the house without them," Ryan said loud enough Caterina could hear him.

She walked out of her and Ember's room three minutes later with her classic gold hoop earrings. Her brown hair was messily pulled back in a braid. She used to take better care of how she looked but lately she had been nothing shy of a wreck.

She, of course, blamed it on the stress of school and her driver's test that was coming up soon. But Ember didn't believe her all that much. She lied to her about going to work the other day and instead she went across town.