Don't play dumb

The next morning was mostly pleasant, jay woke up in a better mood but he still felt like he needed to step up and apologise to his partner, he got in the shower and threw on some clothes before leaving his house and driving to work. Emily on the other hand was exhausted and already up, she had been ready for work for the past two hours. She grabbed a coffee to go from her kitchen and left for work, yawning every few minutes.

                    She was kind of anxious about facing jay since she didn't really give him a formal apology, she just knew he needed some time alone so that's what she gave him.  To her surprise he had a warm smile on his face when she walked into the bullpen, obviously she returned her contagious smile back, "you want a coffee?" He smiled again as she sat down her desk.  Emily was confused at his change in behaviour, "if you're offering" she laughed a little.  Jay laughed a little too and stood up to go make them both a coffee in the break room. She wasn't gonna complain that he was being nice since she liked it but she didn't really know why after what she did to him yesterday.  "Two sugars" he smiled and handed her the mug, she looked up and smiled, "how'd you know?" She chuckled.  Jay smiled and sat back down at his desk, "friends know" he smiled.  He took a sip from his own coffee while watching her smile and giggle, how had he not been paying attention to her?

Hank strolled out of his office with a file which interrupted jay just as he was about to talk to her about yesterday. "homicides handed a case over, three female DOA's and two suspects. Possible drug mules but we haven't got anything back from crime lab or forensics yet" he huffed and placed pictures onto the board. Emily's head darted over to the board, she recognised the suspects since she had worked a case with them in before over at homicide. "That's K torro, he finds young women who are looking to claim extra cash and pops them with drugs, once the jobs done he kills them himself" she spoke up. Hank looked over to her, "K torro?" He tilted his head and folded his arms. Emily nodded, "yeah, K's short for king and torro's his nickname. We had a few cases with him, never been able to bust him for the murders" she sighed.

Everyone was looking at her, especially jay. "Alright, what do we know about him?" Hank signalled for her to take over. She hopped off her desk and walked over to the board taking the pen from Kim's hand, "real names Thomas Miller, he's got no registered address and an off book vehicle. He usually hangs around a stock market on the corner of 98th. He's got a little gang but not all of them are involved, most of them just supply the girls" she sighed. Hank nodded as she circled the corner she was talking about on a map layout which was pinned into the board. "Has he got any priors?" Kevin enquired calmly. Emily shifted her weight to her other foot and shook her head, "none. He does the dirty work and his gang cleans up the mess, no traces are left behind. He's got nothing on his record, it's squeaky clean" she folded her arms.

Hank nodded, "alright, so we'll play him. Taylor you're going under" he sighed. Emily frowned, "I can't Sarge, he knows who I am" she tilted her head as hank walked off. Her boss turned around and waited for her to continue, "i snatched him up twice in homicide but we had to release him, no liable evidence" she finished. Hank nodded and turned to Kim, "okay, burgess, you'll go instead" he smiled and walked into his office. Jay turned to look at her, he knew she was in homicide because it was how she got into intelligence but he didn't know anything else, he didn't even know how good of a detective she was since this was the first time she'd taken the lead of a case. They all cracked on with the case which left jay with another snatched opportunity to talk to her.

Kim was stood on the corner of 98th in a small skirt and fancy top with a faux fur jacket waiting to be spotted by torro. Jay and Emily were sat in his GMC truck nearby with their phones at the ready, hank and the rest of the unit were spread throughout the surrounding blocks in case he made a dash for it. "How long were you in homicide?" Jay turned to look at her in the car. Emily was happy he was talking to her, maybe her apology worked was all that she could think about, "4 years" she smiled. Jay nodded, "what made you transfer?" He smiled back, god that smile of hers worked wonders. She laughed a little, "it was tough just focusing on one thing, most days it was the exact same. If it wasn't chasing down ghosts it was telling heartbroken mothers that their kids didn't make it, I wanted a change" she smiled and nodded. Jay nodded and understood but before he could talk to her about yesterday she snapped him out of his thoughts, "there he is" she spoke quietly.