Chapter 31

Richie smiles, pressing his forehead against the closet door as he listens to his boy spin such extravagant lies.

"I think it was the window being open," Eddie feigns a cough. "I don't feel good, momma."

"Oh, you poor thing. Should I stay home from work to take care of you?" She asks.

"No!" Eddie says quickly, then coughs again to try and keep the appearances up. "I mean, no. I just want to stay in bed. I know to take the amoxicillin, okay? I just want to sleep, momma."

"Of course, Eddie bear," she coos softly.

Richie chuckles under his breath, shaking his head at how truly ridiculous this entire situation is. Eddie's alarm went off twenty minutes ago, and they spent the first ten minutes of the morning staring into each other's eyes without saying a single word. Then, when footsteps were heard coming down the hall, Eddie pushed Richie by the chest and said "Hide. Now."

Now Richie stands as quietly as he can in the midst of Eddie's clothes, his body serenely still. He notices that above all else; just how still he is being. Richie has never sat in one spot for more than three minutes before in his entire life, and now, they're going on minute twelve of being in the closet, and Richie has barely moved a muscle. He thinks it's because of Eddie, or more so, because he wants to spend the day with Eddie without getting caught. For the sake of his honeymoon boy, he will remain as still as a statue.

When Sonia finally says farewell, Richie sheepishly peeks his head out of the closet and silently asks if the coast is clear. Eddie waves him over, so the boy grins and slides out as quietly as he can.

"She's still here, but-" he's cut short by the sound of the garage door opening. He smiles, and says "Okay. She's gone. Do you want breakfast?"

Richie thinks of all the junk food he ate with Beverly last night and decides that eating more is the last thing he should be doing. Instead, he asks "What, you aren't going to give me a tour? We finally have free reign of the Kaspbrak household and you're going to keep me secluded to the damn bedroom?"

"Alright, fine, idiot," Eddie rolls his eyes and takes Richie by the hand. "Before anything, I'm brushing my teeth."

Richie, who obviously does not have a toothbrush, results to using Eddie's mouthwash that burns like absolute hell. He reads the back of the label to investigate the ingredients, his eyes widening at the high amount of alcohol splashed in. He spits his mouthful out, then says "Jeez, Eds. You gettin' tipsy off this damn stuff?"

Eddie looks up at him with glaring eyes, his toothbrush hanging out of his mouth, as he says "No, idiot. It's to prevent cavities."

"Yeah, and give you liver damage in the process," Richie scoffs. "Is this how they're selling vodka to underage kids nowadays?"

Eddie spits toothpaste from his mouth and says "You're an idiot. I need to shower, so you have to leave."

"Do I?" Richie whines, tugging on the bottom of Eddie's shirt. "Can't I just join you?"

Eddie's eyes widen at the suggestion, his face flushing red as he quickly puts his hands against Richie's to push the boy away. In a flustered, erratic tone, he says "N-No! You can't! Go!"

Richie pouts but still leaves without question, shutting the door behind him to give Eddie his privacy. The boy looks down the hall towards the bedroom and considers returning to safe territory, but then turns his head and sees the hallway lead out into the living room, and he decides to start his journey there.

The living room is as clean as you would imagine, albeit the stacks and stacks of magazines next to the recliner chair with nail polish stains in the arm rest. The TV is much bigger, and the antennae are pointing in all sorts of directions, making Richie wonder what kind of shows they watch that require such a strong signal. There's a shelf of VHS, but upon inspection, they're all cheesy romantic comedies, so Richie moves to something that seems more promising.