Chapter 53

a/n: nsfw warning

double update because i know ive been slackin on you guys. enjoy you filthy fucks

-tyler

***

The first half of their night goes wonderfully. In fact, it goes so well that Richie almost forgets about the second half of their date that he planned.

Eddie took Richie out for Thai food, and then showed Richie his fancy new phone. Richie has Bill's old pager, so the two spend an hour testing it out to make sure that Richie will be alerted whenever Eddie calls.

"Maybe you can ask for a phone for your birthday," Eddie asks, leaning across the booth as they wait for the check to come.

"Nah," Richie shakes his head. "They've already done so much for me, I don't wanna push my luck. I think the roof over my head is enough of a gift."

Eddie smiles and shakes his head, then says "Well can I give you your gift? Let's call it a Valentine's day slash early birthday present."

"Oh, yeah, of course," Richie nods. "Although, if it's anything like that pretty little number you bought from the delicates store, I don't-"

"Shut up," Eddie rolls his eyes, laughing under his breath despite the vulgarity coming from his friend's mouth. He brings up the box that he's had resting by his leg this whole time, sliding it across the table. "It's been sitting in my room since 1988, but I think you'll still like it."

"Is this..." Richie recognizes the box from the photographs Mike Hanlon had taken and immortalized into a scrapbook as one of their worst Christmases. "Is this my Christmas present? From when I was fifteen?"

"Yeah," Eddie shrugs. "'Bout time I give it to you, right?"

"You didn't have to hold onto it," Richie shakes his head bashfully, undoing the wrapping.

Eddie just shrugs again, then watches carefully for any signs of approval on Richie's face. The taller one's slender fingers carefully lift the top off the tiny box, and he's met with two objects.

A lighter and a ring.

"Ah, no shit!" Richie picks the lighter up, examining the engraved words. It's a nice lighter, certainly one that fancy lawyer men use when they smoke cigars and drink cognac. He's only seen these types of silver lighters in mafia movies, and he has always wanted one.

Carved into the surface is a simple message, letters so tiny that Richie has to squint through his cracked glasses.

You are my good old-fashioned lover boy. EK.

"Eds," Richie smiles, flicking the top open and igniting the first spark.

Eddie shakes his head. "Don't call me that. Do you like it?"

"I fuckin' love it, dude," Richie's thumb lets go of the trigger so that it can trace along the edges of the engraved message. "Is this why you couldn't bring it to school?"

"Mhm. Look at the ring," Eddie excitedly pushes the box closer to Richie.

It's a simple silver band, but a sturdy one. It's still shiny and brand new, not well worn like the other rings that Richie used to wear. This one's pretty, but that's to be expected from the boy who likes painting his nails and wearing women's garments.

"I love it," Richie slides it onto his middle finger, then frowns at the tightness. It doesn't fit on his pointer finger either, so he cautiously puts it on his ring finger. It feels right there, like it's perfect for that finger specifically.