Chapter 49

"Get in, Loser!" Josie yells from the passenger seat as they pull up in my car

"I missed you!" Maddie exclaims once I open the door and hop in.

"Hi," I smile at both of them and stuff my bag onto the seat next to me, and I slump into my seat, sighing, "It's been a long day. I missed you both. How are you?"

"Maddie dragged my ass here, but I'm glad to see you, Mi. How long were you gone again? I feel like it's been forever."

"It's been three days, Jos," I mumble as I close my eyes and let my head fall on the window, peeking out to see if Maddie has pulled out into the street yet.

"I love your car," Maddie tells me as she drums her fingers on the steering wheel, "I don't know if I can ever go back."

"You don't drive a car," Josie tells her as she looks back at me. I can feel her prying eyes on me.

"By the way, for some people, three days can feel like a lifetime. Thank you very much, Mia. Anyways," she whistles, "how was Cali?"

"Cali? You from there?" I ask her with a growing smile.

"Hmm, yeah. Local girl," she nods.

"Seriously? Wow, that's crazy because no one says that."

She bursts out laughing, "Oh, whatever. How is your family? I miss them. It's been forever since I've seen them."

"They're doing well," I hum as I look back at her. "What do you guys think about coming home sometime this summer? My parents were thinking--"

"Yes!" Josie screams, and Maddie slams on the breaks.

"Fuck! You scared the living shit out of me," Maddie mutters as she starts the car back up and drives down the road. "That does sound really fun. We have to do that." Maddie tells me a couple of minutes later.

"I love your parents, your family, everyone. I feel like I'm literally in your family," Josie squeals like she didn't almost just kill us all from distracting Maddie.

"True," Maddie hums, "I think I get calls from Hailey every week."

"I get one every day. You should be thankful," I grumble, "so clingy."

Maddie's laugh rings throughout the car, and she smiles at me through the review mirror, "Says the girl with the clingy boyfriend. You really know how to choose em."

"We're not-"

"Hmmm, I agree with you," Josie nods her head at Maddie, "Mia chose the one man who doesn't interact with anyone when she's not around."

"Hey," interject and narrow my eyes at her, "Don't talk about Nate like that."

"See what I'm talking about?" She mutters under her breath to Maddie. I roll my eyes and look out the window as we get onto the freeway.