Chapter Forty-Five: Righting what's Wrong

They sat in silence as Radley and his father completed the mid-day meal. Before they rose from their seats, they heard the door open and men talking. Then someone yelled, 'Watch the banister!' They rushed to see and found four men carrying his large dresser inside. It was a sharp turn to maneuver the stairs, but they managed it as Lewis stood yelling at them with a small table in his arms.

Radley watched as the men slowly moved up the stairs with that heavy piece of furniture. Then he turned to speak to Lewis. "I am pleased to see that you and the men have managed to retrieve quite a bit of my furniture. I hadn't expected you to do so much in such a short time."

Lewis set the table down out of the way and then bowed in greeting. "We worked while you were taking your wife to her brother's. As you can see, nothin's where it belongs, but we'll get to that." He looked up as the men turned to take the dresser down the hall. "Best you show those men where the room is, or they'll drop it anywhere."

Radley hurriedly took the stairs three at a time. "It's the room at the end of the hall." When they carried it in, he quickly pointed to the wall he wanted it on. Then he pulled Hastings aside, asking, "What is the condition of the wood? Will you need to restore it?"

"I will, Milord. Nevertheless, it can be done while you're away at her father's house. Lewis told me he was planning a party, so while you're gone, I should have it as good as new by the time you return, but only this room."

"It pleases me to know it can be repaired. Thank you. I will pay you handsomely." He gave a bow and hurried from the room to help them bring the wagon full of furnishings up the stairs.

Reginald joined his son as he was checking the drawers. "Did you leave something in those drawers? I thought you hadn't been here for a while."

Radley looked up and continued opening the drawers. "I was seeing if they stick. Hastings plans to repair this furniture while we go to Kensingdale."

While his son checked the dresser, Reginald said, "We were speaking of your horses and began considering we should go soon. Perhaps steal them back. If he learns you are back, he could sell them before we get the chance to do anything about it—unless Dalton arrives at Kendal tomorrow."

He straightened up and leaned his hip against the dresser as he crossed his arms over his chest. "I agree. We check and see if the horses are there. That's prime horseflesh that I paid handsomely for and damned if I'll sit back and let him profit on what's mine. So, if you're with me on this, we'll steal them back."

They shared a wicked grin. "That sounds good to me. I suggest we search for linens since we'll need a bath." Reginald walked out of the room and said, "Hopefully, your man Lewis was able to send a message to your butler." He began walking down the stairs and asked, What do you think of asking Bogsley to accompany us on this mission to recover your horses? It would be easier if we had another man or two to help."

Radley nodded with enthusiasm. "Since he spied during the war with France, I believe he could do so."

Regretfully, when they came to the bottom of the stairs, they learned the men had already left to retrieve more items from the house. To pay them, Radley and his father went to his safe.

As they stepped into the room, Reginald stared at it. "They couldn't budge it, I see." He moved closer to look at the damage a hammer had made on the tumblers. "With your permission, I'll contact the man I use for my safes and have him come here and check on the damage done to it."

"I would appreciate it. Thank you." Radley knelt and turned the dial, heard it click, and opened the safe. "I fear it's the handle that needs replacing. It feels loose, but beating it more would have only broken it further. Without the combination, the locks would have remained in place."