Chapter 54

The Gall of Gammon

Disclaimer: This story is my humble attempt to write a fanfiction of the epic Mahabharata. My intention is not to hurt anyone's sentiment.

Aum Namah Shivay!!

Major Jayant Roy, SM is a fictitious character. Any similarity with any living person is merely a coincidence.

Chapter 54

Kampilya, Southern Panchal, Dwapar Yuga

Jayant/ Duryodhana POV

The swyamvar of Draupadi was going to take place, and I, the one and only one from Kali Yuga was sitting here and watching. Oh, how much I missed a camera! If I could really please Sri Sri Viswakarma, then I would also request to give me a camera with the guns.

To tell the truth, I did not want to attend this ceremony. The reason was simple. One should not play a game that was already rigged. The whole Mahabharata was a rigged game. The characters were just mere pieces on that chessboard. But I would not become a pawn. I refused to become a plaything.

The city of Kampilya was literally glowing with joy. The whole city was beautifully decorated with flowers and garlands. While riding towards the city on my chariot, I saw a huge number of Kings and Prince in the way. I saw different chariots with different banners. All of them were coming here to win the hand of the most beautiful woman of the world.

I felt pity for those fools!

On the way, we met Ashwatthama. Dronacharya send him with valuable gifts for his old friend's daughter. I sometimes could not understand him. He knew that Drupad still had malice for him in his heart. He knew that Dhristadyumnya was born for the sole purpose of his death still he took him as his student. Dronacharya was a Brahmin, so forgiveness lies in his nature. Drupad was a Kshatriya who lost half of his kingdom. So, he couldn't forgive.

When we reached Kampilya city, all of us received warm welcome. The staffs of Maharaja Drupad were well behaved and efficient. Our group contained me, Dussasan, Karna, Vikarna, Yuyutsu, Mamashri and Ashwatthama. The maidservants showered flower petals on us. Then we took our seats. I turned my head and saw Jarasandha and Shishupal were sitting on two seats. I nodded slightly at them, but they did not give any reply.

Then I heard the guard announcing

"The King of Madra, Maharaja Shalya!"

I curiously turned my head towards him. This was another character whom I found extremely interesting and worth for study. Mahabharata has the earliest example of psychological warfare. When Karna requested him to be his charioteer, Yudhisthir made the plan. He requested Shalya to destroy Karna's confidence by praising Arjun in front of him. Shalya did exactly that. In war, the coordination between warrior and the charioteer was the most important thing. On Pandavas side, Sri Krishna constantly motivated Arjun, gave him the right suggestion in right time. On Kauravas side, Karna and Shalya always argued. Though Shalya became a bit softer when Karna spared Nakul and Sahdeva, still he played an important role for Karna's death.

I looked at the King of Madra. He was a man of medium height. His body was the proper mixture of muscle and lankiness. He was a great mace and spear fighter, and also the only charioteer who could match Sri Krishna. His face was calm, but the smile in his lips was telling something else. The smile was like he was taunting the whole world.

Suddenly he stopped in his way, and turned towards me. The smile in his lips changed into a taunting smirk. He walked in front of me.

"Rajkumar Duryodhana, the one who shows his bravery by hitting unconscious women! What a great fighter you are!"