Chapter Two

Class was long and boring. At least it was for Jonathan. For Shannon, however.. Well, she seemed very interested as Mr. Samuels began explaining things such as basic functions of the mind. She was so immersed, she didn't even notice Jonathan openly staring at her. He was studying her, her actions and expressions. She really got into things such as the mind it seemed, but that made sense seeing as she had said she wanted to be and was currently studying to become a psychiatrist.

Thankfully the dull hours finally came to a close, and Mr. Samuels dismissed them, giving them a few chapters out of their psychiatry books to read. As soon as the class ended, Jonathan stood with the rest of the students, eager to remove himself from the school.

"Jonathan?" Shannon asked after a moment, "Do you... do you mind if we wait just a minute? For things to all clear out?" Jonathan blinked at Shannon, considering her request, and then nodded. He wondered why she was wanting to wait. She  had always left late at school, he remembered,  but he had never found the exact reason. Perhaps it was just common claustrophobia. A lot of people suffered from that, and got rather jumpy. But then, Shannon seemed a bit anxious when people had been coming into the classroom. Perhaps a fear of crowds? Or of men? No, she seemed perfectly comfortable around himself... "We can go now," Shannon's voice announced softly, tugging Jonathan from his thoughts.

"Alright, then," Jonathan agreed. He was still standing, so he helped Shannon to her weak feet and put an arm around her waist. He was able to support her weight just fine, though she still held on tightly to her walking stick. He supposed it was just human nature- she didn't fully trust him not to drop her and so had a backup plan. Jonathan led Shannon through the only lightly occupied hallways and back out to the place she had first arrived. Shannon groaned quietly when she saw Officer Gordon's cruiser waiting for her. She had forgotten to tell him she wouldn't be needing a ride.

"Hold on a minute, Jonathan," she sighed, trying to free herself from his grasp, "I need to tell Jim I don't need a ride.." Jonathan was already helping her to the cruiser, from which Gordon was closely watching them.

"Hey Shan," he asked suspiciously, eyeing Jonathan for a moment, "What's up?" Shannon smiled nervously at Gordon, hoping he'd approve of her outing.

"Um, I'm really sorry, Jim," she started, "I meant to call you, but I don't need a ride. Jonathan is going to take me out to eat." Gordon raised his eyebrows. Shannon was going out with someone she had just met? There just wasn't something right about that...

"Jonathan?" he questioned, still focused on Shannon.

"Yeah, Jim. This is Jonathan," she said, inclining her head toward the jaded young man standing beside her, "We knew each other back  since we were in middle school and we just met up in our psychiatry class. Weird, huh?"

"Yep," Gordon agreed with a curt nod, before  looking to Jonathan once more, "I expect her home by ten."

"Of course, sir," Jonathan smiled vaguely, a smile that made Gordon narrow his eyes. He just felt something was wrong with the young man.. But he wasn't about to stop Shannon from being social for once in her life.

"Alright, then," Gordon approved with a nod, "Shannon knows the address and it's pretty easy to find.. You kids have fun." Shannon smiled at her father and nodded, Jonathan copying the action without the smile. Gordon gave him one last stern look, then started the cruiser's engine and drove on.

"I don't think he likes me," Jonathan sighed, turning Shannon and himself around. Shannon chuckled softly.

"Jim just isn't used to me talking to.. well, people," Shannon informed Jonathan, truthfully. Gordon definitely was not used to Shannon talking to anyone outside the family she had been brought into. Shannon herself wasn't very used to it, but talking to Jonathan seemed so natural.