3.6: VEXED

"The wolves." Edward said "I read Jane's mind last spring, she smelled them on us."

"The Volturi must've realized we were in league with them. They don't tolerate any form of allegiance with any species of wolves. It must be about them." Carlisle said coming to the conclusion that the Volturi's true intention was to destroy the pack.

"Actually." Alec interrupted as they walked through the Cullens back door, right into their living room with the largest gathering of vampires he had seen since the dark ages.

There was a collective gasp at the sight of the witch twins, both in stolen jeans and a grey "Oregon" tee. Vera stood next to them, also in the exact outfit they wore. They all looked like homeless teenagers with the faces of angels.

"This is about your psychic, Alice." Alec continued despite the gaping faces, he was used to that sort of reaction when he and his sister were together, which they seldom ever weren't. "Aro wants her, more than he has ever wanted anyone."

"Which is why they left." Bella gasped

"Wait wait wait." A nomad spoke up waving his hands. He had long wavy blonde hair that looked like it hadn't been washed in decades, milky red eyes and a permanent scowl. "What the hell are they doing here?"

"They're with me." Vera said, her voice was firm, daring anyone to challenge their presence "And they're here to help."

"Have you gone mental?" Another nomad screeched in a heavy English accent

"Tone it down." Jane looked at him with her dark, crimson eyes. He sunk back under her glare.

"Okay." Carlisle stepped in, sensing the ever thick tension and not wanting a fight to breakout before the Volturi even came. "We need all the help we can get and with the three of them the Volturi won't touch us."

"Have you lot forgotten that they are the Volturi? The infamous witch twins are here to help us? You must be joking." The British one sneered mockingly

"They cannot be trusted. I believe it is more likely the three of them are undercover, ready to destroy us from the inside. Eliminate the threat before Aro even has to step out of his castle." A red head popped in, sharing both her unwarranted and unwanted opinion.

"If that were so do you not think your psychic would have warned you?" Alec raised a brow

"You must've done something to them." Jacob sneered, referring to Jasper and Alice, the presence of the twins burning away any and all of the trust he had with his great aunt.

"I would never lay a hand on Alice." Vera growled

"You say that, but they trust you. Their guard would be down, a blitz attack." Jacob continued to argue his point.

"We did not attack your psychic." Alec sneered as he looked directly at Edward "Read any of our minds and say differently."

"They've been on the road for the past five days. They didn't come in contact with Alice or Jasper." Edward said as the past days replayed in Alec's mind.

"The timeline adds up." Bella added as they weren't able to reach Vera for more than a week and they were all worried that she would be on the Volturi's side come the day of the confrontation.

Edward looked directly at Vera as her days in the Volturi's dungeon played through her mind. Then he looked at Jane and Alec who both held distaste for their coven for the way Aro had delt with Vera. He could also hear the lingering thoughts of how Alec had become bored of the monotonous life he had led with the Volturi. Jane tried to keep her mind empty as she didn't want Edward looking in but failed to keep the detail that she while she didn't necessarily want to stand with the Cullens she would do so for her brother away from Edward's gift.