Notebooks, Lies, and Catriona

Lottie pulled the blankets closer to her chin, staring up at the ceiling. The memory of Thomas's gentle kiss to her forehead replayed over in her mind and she curled her toes. Why did such a simple gesture of concern make her feel so giddy? Surely, Thomas meant nothing by it.

She rolled onto her side and covered her eyes. With a small squeal, she kicked her feet beneath the covers at the memory of his hand on her cheek.

"Oh, don't be a silly young girl," she ordered herself, pulling the covers over her head. "He meant nothing by it. He is simply a good friend showing his concern... by kissing me."

She rolled onto her other side and clamped her eyes closed tightly. No matter the butterflies in her stomach, her heart still refused to believe Thomas could have meant something more. She would ask him about it in the morning, she decided. If he made it back safely.

***
Lottie patted her hair again and smoothed her dress as she passed the library on her way to breakfast. Would Thomas be back by now? He had promised to check on her, but even though she woke to check her door several times throughout the night, there had been no sign of him.

"What are you implying, Mr. de Lacy?" Lord Campbell's angry voice echoed behind the closed door of the library and Lottie slowed.

"Several of the guests remember you leaving the drawing-room with Mr. Farraday the night he disappeared," Mr. de Lacy responded as Lottie pressed her ear to the door. "I am simply inquiring about your relationship with the man."

Silence. Could the men be speaking too quietly for her to hear through the door? She held her breath. Although she had cleared Lady Hillington of any involvement in Mrs. Ashdown's death, she hadn't had a moment to investigate Lord Campbell.

"He knew things he shouldn't," Lord Campbell's voice surprised Lottie and she pressed a hand over her mouth and nose to silence any sound that could alert the men. He continued, "Mr. Farraday had a proposition... a payment, if you will, for his silence on this... delicate matter."

Mr. de Lacy stepped closer to the door as he spoke, and Lottie wondered if he was going to open it. But instead, he said, "Mrs. Ashdown knew of this too, didn't she?"

"How did you--?" Lord Campbell's voice rose with shock.

"She told me. The night before her death," Mr. de Lacy responded casually. "She seemed quite eager to share the juicy details about everyone at the house party. She said she had more to share, but she died before she could."

Lord Campbell sighed and Lottie could hear his feet pacing. "You already know then."

"Naturally."

"And you suspect I had something to do with their murders?" Lord Campbell's voice was low and serious now.

"I have said nothing about murder, m'Lord," Mr. de Lacy said, but Lottie could hear a faint satisfaction in his tone.

"I-I they—They were—"

"Tell me what happened the nights they died. What did you do?" Mr. de Lacy asked.

After a long moment, Lord Campbell's voice finally broke. "I have substantial debts and have... caused the ruin of many young ladies. My father, the Duke of Argyle, threatened to cut me off unless I fixed my ways. I tricked my father for a time that I had repaid my debts and settled with the families of the women, but Mr. Farraday found out the truth somehow. The night before he died, he threatened to tell my father. He asked for my sister, but I refused. I countered."

"With what?" Mr. de Lacy scoffed, "he knew you were broke."

"My younger brother's inheritance," Lord Campbell said hesitantly. "He never returned from the war on the continent. My father would never know it was missing."