Chapter 33: Honor

Four Months Later

The colors stole my breath.

Green leaves fluttered, violet and orange wildflowers swayed, and birds swooped across the sapphire sky. Morning dew glistened on a row of statues, silver Acrador, copper Valavira, gold Rashika, and more. Onlookers packed the benches and spilled out to form a semi-circle around the field, dressed in jewel-toned gowns and vests. Skin as light as Pim's and as dark as mine, faces smooth and furry, hair and eyes of every color.

Despite the packed field, one bench near the front sat empty — reserved for the spirits of loved ones lost.

A foot imprinted the damp soil near me, and I glanced up at Zander. He quirked an eyebrow and propped his fist on his hip.

"What's this? You've forgotten how to light a fire, is it?" He swung out his stump arm to indicate the tinder and stones before me. "Daresay we shouldn't keep Izra waiting forever."

The mention of her imminent arrival kicked up an almost obscene flurry of excitement and nerves. Brightness swelled in my chest, and sweat dampened my palms. I breathed a chuckle at my own reaction. Back in the palace, surrounded by the toxic mix of fake care and blatant disregard, I never believed in such a feeling.

But I also never believed I would marry Izra.

I crouched beside the dugout and fumbled with the flint and steel. Silky fabric pooled on the ground, and the belled sleeves of my dress fluttered around my wrists, soft coral against rich ebony.

With a tuck and a hiss, a spark jumped from the rocks to the tinder. The strands curled in on themselves and brightened to an orange glow. Zander asked me to repeat some words. As my lips moved to comply, my gaze trailed over the crowd.

"May the gods bless this union."

Plu's glazed blue eyes crinkled with her smile. Her right hand squeezed Ru's shoulder while her left linked a single pinky with Navi's.

"May our love flow as deep as the Paksha Sea."

Jek's broad arm slumped almost casually across Janafir's back, belying the support I knew he was providing for Janafir to remain upright.

"May we honor the Goddess in deeds more than words."

Rona's head rested on her aunt's shoulder, and her feet swung back and forth, skimming the grass below the bench.

"And may we remember to visit Zander."

"And may we — wait, what?"

He cracked a broad smile and tipped his head with his shrug. "Just making sure you were paying attention."

But at the moment, any small amount of attention I still possessed dissipated.

Izra had entered.

A sleek black gown hugged her slim waist and flowed down to trail behind her as she sauntered toward me. The fabric slit up to her thigh, revealing a tantalizing stretch of smooth, tan skin with each step. A fresh short haircut framed her chin in the front and climbed to a neat bob above the nape of her head.

A perfect image of grace — if not for the helpless, crooked-tooth smile.

The colors surrounding us blurred to a hazy glow, swept aside by the powerful presence of the woman before me. Black hair, black eyes, black dress. My favorite color.